A&M sweeps Stephen F. Austin in doubleheader

Vanessa Pena

Senior Rachel Fox started on the mound in the Aggies first 3-2 win over the Lumberjacks.

The Texas A&M softball team took both games of the Wednesday doubleheader against Stephen F. Austin with scores of 3-2 and 6-0.

The No. 23 Aggies (27-9, 7-5 SEC) got off to a slow start in their first game, with opposing sophomore Brittany Lewis hitting a leadoff home run off Rachel Fox to start the day. 

The Lumberjacks (9-24, 2-9 Southland) continued their hitting in the second inning with Lindsey Campbell hitting a double off the wall, and a hit above second baseman April Ryan from Autumn Holloway extended the Jacks lead to two. 

Shortly after, an hour-long lightning delay halted the game and provided some time for the Aggies to regroup. Freshman Tori Vidales began the comeback charge for the Aggies with a solo shot in the third off pitcher Callee Guffey to cut the lead to 2-1. 

The speed of Brittany Clopton forced a throwing error to first base off a bunt to bring in Erica Russell for the game-tying run. A&M completed its comeback with a sacrifice fly from Tori Vidales to seal the victory.

The Aggies began the second game with junior Katie Marks on the mound and she was effective, allowing zero runs in a complete game effort. Freshman Kristen Cuyos got the scoring started with her sixth home run of the season to jump the Aggies out to a 1-0 lead. 

A&M tallied three runs in the third inning with a solo home run from Cali Lanphear, an RBI single from Abby Donnell and a wild pitch to bring Donnell home. The shot from Lanphear was her third home run in the last three games.

A&M continued its hot hitting with a double from Russell and a hit from freshman Ashley Walters to drive her in for the fifth run to extend the Aggie lead to 5-0. Donnell continued her great day at the plate with another RBI to bring Vidales home for the final run.

The Aggies are back in action at home at 6:30 p.m. Friday to open a three-game series against Georgia Tech. 

• A lightning delay helps the Aggies regroup in their 3-2 win in the first game of two.

Vanessa Pena

Vanessa Pena
  • Breanna Dozier awaits on third base in A&M win.

Vanessa Pena
  • Texas A&M improved its record to 27-9 with two wins over Stephen F. Austin Wednesday.

Vanessa Pena