A&M sweeps the Bahamas Island Relays

Photo by Photo by Cameron Johnson

Freshman Bryce Foster throws at shot put at E.B. Cushing Stadium on April 30, 2022.

The Texas A&M men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the Island Relays Bahamas Invitational.
This was a two-day event held at the Grand Bahamas Sports Complex on March 17-18. The Aggies were joined by five other teams including Arizona, Oklahoma, South Carolina, the University of the Bahamas and Vanderbilt.
On Friday, the Aggies had a successful day and claimed three overall wins. Sophomore women’s javelin thrower Katelyn Fairchild locked in the first win for A&M with a toss of 175-2/53.40m. The Aggies next victory was succeeded by junior men’s javelin thrower Sam Hankins. Hankins tossed a personal best of 231-7/70.59m. The Aggies claimed their third win of the day in the women’s 400 meter dash with sophomore Jania Martin, with a personal best of 52.56.
Saturday was a long day of victories for the Aggies after sweeping thirteen of their events.
The women’s 4×100 meter relay was won with a time of 44.33 by Martin and freshmen Leeah Burr, Camryn Dickson and Jaiya Covington.
The men’s 4×400 meter relay tied for first by junior Sam Presnal, sophomore Cutler Zamzow, junior Omajuwa Etiwe and sophomore Christian Rosales with a time of 3:11.58.
The women’s 4×400 meter relay finished with a winning time of 3:34.10 accomplished by Burr, freshman Sanu Jallow, sophomore Kennedy Wade and sophomore Joniar Thomas.
The men’s 4×800 meter relay was won by freshman Cooper Cawthra, senior Chandon Chhikara, sophomore Gavin Hoffpauir, and sophomore Victor Zuniga with a time of 7:47.35.
Sophomore Felipe Medrado won the men’s 400 meter hurdles with a time of 58.03.
Hoffpauir won the men’s 3000 meter run with a time of 8:40.49.
The women’s 3000 meter run was won with a time of 9:59.58 by senior Julia Abell.
Dickson claimed the women’s 100 meter dash win with a time of 11.81.
Covington claimed the women’s 100 meter hurdles win with a time of 13.74.
Senior Zach Davis and junior Connor Gregston tied for first in the men’s pole vault with a mark of 4.85m.
Junior Carter Bajoit won the men’s high jump with a mark of 2.12m.
Sophomore Bryce Foster claimed the men’s shot put victory with a mark of 19.12m.
The A&M men’s track and field team ended the weekend with a score of 198 and took home the win. The A&M women’s track and field team came short to Oklahoma and placed second overall with a score of 157.
The A&M men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete next at the Raleigh Relays in North Carolina on March 23-25.