A&M to host Notre Dame at Ellis Field

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Senior midfielder and captain Mikaela Harvey kicks the through ball.

Last Friday, Nov. 10, the second-seeded Texas A&M soccer team took down Lamar 1-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The win improved A&M’s record to 18-2-1 and was the fourteenth straight victory for the Aggies dating back to Sept. 15.
Now, the Aggies wait to take on Notre Dame at home on Friday, Nov. 17 for the opportunity to advance to the regional semifinals, otherwise known as the Sweet Sixteen.
The Aggies are led by sophomore Ally Watt, junior Emily Bates and senior Mikaela Harvey. Watt leads the team in goals scored with 11 and Bates leads the team in assists with six, while also adding three goals. This year’s team captain Harvey has scored three times, and also assisted on  three goals this year.
Notre Dame took down IUPUI 5-0 at home in the first round on Saturday. The Irish are 10-6-4 this year and are led by sophomore Natalie Jacobs, sophomore Jennifer Westendorf and senior Sandra Yu. Jacobs leads the team in goals scored with 11 and is tied for the team lead with seven assists. Westendorf is second on the team in goals scored with nine, and is tied with Jacobs for the team lead in assists with seven. Yu has scored eight goals this season and assisted in five others.
The Aggies and Irish met in the NCAA Tournament at Ellis Field in 2014, when first-seeded A&M took down fourth-seeded Notre Dame 2-1 in the Sweet Sixteen. 
Texas A&M and Notre Dame will play on Friday at Ellis Field in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. 
Should the Aggies win, they would take on the winner of fourth-seeded USC and Baylor at Ellis Field on Sunday, Nov. 19.