Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

A&M volleyball bests Yale

The Texas A&M volleyball team started the Yale Classic with a 3-1 win over the Bulldogs thanks to a strong game from senior middle senior blocker Stephanie Minnerly, who posted a career high 13 kills and a .500 hitting efficiency.
It was a really big win for us, head volleyball coach Laurie Corbelli said. We came into a tough environment against a team that year in and year out is in the [NCAA] Tournament.
The Aggies opened the opening set with a 14-8 lead, however, with Yale playing inspired in front of their home crowd at the John J. Lee Amphitheater, Yale managed to close in on the Aggies 16-12. Senior outside hitter Tori Mellinger ended the set by hitting her fifth kill.
The second set was a back-and-forth affair as there were 18 ties to go along with 6 lead changes that eventually went to the Aggies 35-33. After fighting off four set points, Yale climbed back to take the lead 30-29. The Aggies used clutch kills by Mellinger and junior setter Allie Sawatzky to take the 2-0 lead.
Yale took the third set 25-22 as they outhit the Aggies .424 to .206 and managed to stave off a five point run by A&M.
In the fourth set however, the Aggies would make sure that the game would go no further as they took the set 25-18.
No matter how many times the Aggies seemed to try and pull away, Yale gave A&M fits by playing stellar defense and making runs to cut into the Aggies deficits.
Yale is scrappy, just a very good team, Corbelli said. I think this win will give us confidence going into [the games] tomorrow.
The Aggies play a doubleheader on Saturday as they take on American University at 10 a.m. followed later in the afternoon with a match against Stony Brook, but Corbelli has her team primed to finish on top of the Yale Classic.
Tomorrow is another day, but you best believe that we will work our tails off to come out on top.