A&M volleyball brings back winning ways at home with Ole Miss sweep

Photo by Photo By: Wesley Holmes
Texas A&M Volleyball

Texas A&M volleyball’s last home game resulted in a loss against Arkansas, but Ashlie Reasor and Kiara McGee took back what is theirs with a sweep over Ole Miss.

The Aggies (9-5, 2-1 SEC) returned to Reed Arena Sunday afternoon to play Ole Miss (15-4, 1-3 SEC). Texas A&M head coach Laurie Corbelli advanced her dominant experience against the Rebels to an undefeated 7-0 record. Corbelli said she was more than pleased with her team’s performance this afternoon.

“It’s a pure joy; it’s a dream come true,” Corbelli said. “I think so often these players are all so good and talented, and then they all play well the same day; how very difficult it is to beat us. We sometimes come with a half team, or three quarters of a team, or a team that comes and goes.”

The beginning of the first set showed no clear advantage, but the Aggies began pulling away with kills by Stephanie Aiple and Emily Hardesty. Hardesty followed with a service ace to force an Ole Miss timeout. McGee had three consecutive kills to give the Aggies a 19-9 lead, and A&M didn’t look back as it finished the set 25-13 off of a Stephanie Aiple block. McGee said she was given the opportunities by the Rebels to be successful in the opening set.

“That builds on the momentum,” McGee said. “They were overpassing so we’re getting points. They’re thinking, ‘What am I doing wrong?’ and the other team is crashing and burning themselves. They’re setting us up and making it easier for us to be good.”

The Aggies only trailed a single point at the beginning of the first set, but in the second set they pulled away early on due to various errors on the Ole Miss side of the court. Reasor recorded four block assists and four kills on the set. McGee set the Aggies up at set point 24-18 and followed with the kill to end it at 25-20.

Gabby Litwin excelled with back-to-back service aces to set the Aggies ahead at 9-2, and Reasor followed with three consecutive Aggie kills, putting the score at 13-5 in the third set. Although there were some errors by A&M, they were able to pull away to finish the sweep with a block by Ashlie Reasor.

“You always want to end with a block,” Reasor said. “You always want to end with a kill, but I think ending with a block or kill has a statement for the other team. We worked as hard as you did and we can end it quickly. Getting a block on the last point was a lot of fun.”

Volleyball will return to the court to play the Florida Gators at 6 p.m. Friday in Gainesville, Florida.

• Volleyball: A&M vs Ole Miss

Photo by Photo By: Wesley Holmes
  • Volleyball: A&M vs Ole Miss

Photo by Photo By: Wesley Holmes