A&M volleyball hosts Ole Miss after sweeping on the road

Texas A&M returns to Reed Arena this Sunday for another SEC matchup against Ole Miss at 1 p.m.

The Aggies (8-5, 1-1 SEC) turned doubts into progress with their sweep over Auburn. A&M only trailed for a couple of points in the third and final set, but for nearly the entirety of the match, the Aggies were unstoppable behind Jazzmin Babers and Kiara McGee. Head coach Laurie Corbelli said she could feel the pressure following the SEC opening loss to Arkansas last Sunday.

“It was a little nerve racking,” Corbelli said. “Being on the road for the first SEC [away] game, I felt the pressure. I felt like this is one we have to get, and I think the team did too. They handled it. What I see, I think the team has to continue to work to make sure everyone is at their best on gameday.”

The Ole Miss Rebels (15-3, 1-2 SEC) had a very successful pre-season campaign. They started off their season in their Magnolia Invitational, only losing a single set in the entire tournament. They later conquered the NC State Tournament, the UAB Tournament and their second hosted tournament, the Rebel Classic.

“They have some big, big attackers,” Corbelli said. “Maybe not size wise, but power delivery. They have a really good setter who distributes the ball beautifully, and very consistently. Their most athletic players are their middles, Nakeyta Clair and Ty Laporte.”

Clair dominates the roster with a commanding 193 kills on the season, but also holds strong on defense with the team’s most blocks at 51. Laporte trails with the second highest blocks at 50, and also second on attacking with 145 kills. Also, watch for setter Aubrey Edie who leads with 653 sets and team libero Kristen Brashear, who totals at 236 digs.

Prior to conference action, the Rebels had success at home and on the road, with 8-1 and 6-0

records, respectively. Since starting SEC play, Ole Miss traveled to Gainesville, Florida to play No. 9 Florida, the top-rated volleyball program in the SEC, to lose in three sets. The Rebels returned to Oxford to play against state-rival Mississippi State and lost in three sets, setting their conference record at 0-2.

“Florida’s tough at home, and they sweep a lot of people,” Corbelli said. “I don’t know that was such an upset, I think Mississippi State’s coming into Ole Miss’ gym and beating them there was probably a real wakeup call for them. You never know, sometimes your big attacker has an off night. If there is a really influential player on the court who’s not doing well, it starts to spread.”