A&M women’s basketball to host Florida Thursday

Photo by: Morgan Engel

Senior guard Curtyce Knox leads the SEC with nine assists per game. 

Gary Blair and the Aggie women’s basketball team look to get back on track against Florida after losing to No. 4 Mississippi State on Sunday. The Aggies put up a tough fight against the fourth-ranked team in the nation on the road, but just came up short 71-61. A&M (15-6, 5-3 SEC) will battle Florida (11-10, 2-6 SEC) for the second time this season, having beaten the Gators on the road 67-59 on January 15th.

The Gators lost five straight to start SEC play, but have since won their last two of three, including a blowout 20-point win over Vanderbilt on the road. Florida is led by senior forward Ronni Williams, junior forward Haley Lorenzen and freshman guard Delicia Washington. Williams leads the conference with 19.4 points per game, adding 7.8 rebounds per game as well. Lorenzen is scoring 12 points and grabbing 6.7 rebounds per game, while Washington is averaging 10.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per contest.

A&M has a player represented in the top five of the SEC in each major category, points per game, assists per game, rebounds per game, steals per game and field goal percentage. Sophomore guard Danni Williams is third in the SEC with 17.5 points per game, while sophomore forward Anriel Howard averages a double-double at 10.3 points and an SEC-leading 11.0 rebounds per game, and junior center Khaalia Hillsman is second in the SEC with a 63.9% field goal percentage.

Senior guard Curtyce Knox is having an incredible year for the Aggies. After averaging just 9.9 minutes last year, the point guard has nearly quadrupled her playing time to 36.4 minutes per game now. She is also averaging nine assists and 2.4 steals per game. Her assist output is by far the highest in the SEC, with the next closest being Florida guard Dyandria Anderson at 4.4 assists per game. Her 2.4 steals is also one of the best numbers in the SEC, ranking third in the conference.

The matchup will be in Reed Arena and will air on the SEC Network+. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.