A&M finishes undefeated in nonconference play with 16-3 win over Rice

A&M women’s golf will get taste of SEC at Rebel Intercollegiate

File

Marijosse Navarro helped guide Texas A&M to its second team victory this year with a round of 66 on Sunday. 

The Texas A&M women’s golf team returns to action for the first time since mid-March this weekend, as the team travels to the Rebel Intercollegiate competition in Oxford, Mississippi, hosted by SEC foe Ole Miss.

The tournament will be held at the Ole Miss golf course, and will play 6,210 yards from the tee. Water comes into play on six of the 18 holes on the par 72 course, which features the traditional setup of 10 par fours, four par fives, and four par threes.

Tournament play will span from Friday to Sunday and will be in the standard, 54-hole format, with trophies going to the first place team as well as individualists.

Only three of the 18 participating teams in the field are from the SEC, which includes Ole Miss, No. 12 Tennessee and No. 14 Texas A&M. A&M and Tennessee are the only ranked teams in the field.

Although the Aggies as a team have been off since their run at the Arizona Wildcat Invitational on March 17, sophomore Marijosse Navarro competed as an amateur in last week’s LPGA event, the Kia Classic. In order to compete in it, Navarro earned a special exemption from her victory at the UC Irvine Invitational earlier this spring. 

However, Navarro failed to make the -1 cut line at the Classic despite scoring -2 on the front nine of the host course in her opening rounds. Navarro finished at +7, which put her at No. 151. Professional Cristie Kerr won the tournament, along with its $255,000 cash prize after shooting -20 (268).
The women’s team will have a two week hiatus after to gear up for the SEC Championship starting April 17.

• Maddie Szervk aided A&M in a fifth place finish at the Arizona Wildcat Invitational.