A&M women’s hoops use late surge to beat Vanderbilt 64-53

Womens+Basketball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Women’s Basketball

Coming into Sunday’s game, Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair had won 306 games in his 13 seasons in Aggieland.
Not a single one of those had come on Vanderbilt’s home court. Blair had beaten them only one time in his career dating back to his days at Arkansas.
He got that elusive victory on Sunday afternoon, as the Aggies (20-7, 10-4) extended their winning streak to a season-long five games by defeating the Commodores 75-64 at Memorial Gym in Nashville.
Senior guards Courtney Walker and Chelsea Jennings combined for 43 points and Jordan Jones recorded 11 assists in the victory. Courtney Williams also pitched in 10 points, making it three straight games where the trio of Walker, Jennings and Williams has each scored in double figures.
It was Jones’ first time to reach double figures in assists this season and also drew three charges on defense to give her 36 for the season.
The Commodores (15-12, 4-10) shot nearly 60 percent in the first quarter, but the Aggies managed to consistently chip away until they tied the score and eventually went ahead by a comfortable margin.
Williams made a jumper for the Aggies early in the first quarter for the first points of the game, but after that, they did not lead again until Anriel Howard made a bucket with 7:13 to give A&M a 61-59 lead.
A&M exploded in the fourth quarter, doubling up Vandy in the scoring department 32-16.
With the win, the Aggies have now won at least 20 games in each of the past 11 seasons. It is the second-longest active streak in the SEC and it is Blair’s 25th 20-win season, which puts him eighth among current coaches.
As is stands right now, A&M is mathematically guaranteed a top six seed in the SEC tournament.
The Aggies return to the hardwood for another road game on Thursday, Feb. 25, at Auburn. Tipoff  is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and will be broadcasted on SEC Network Plus.