Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) winds up to pitch during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Took the Tide
Took the Tide
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Took the Tide
Kylie Stoner, Associate Sports Editor • April 15, 2024

After a close pitching battle in the beginning of the matchup, Texas A&M softball defeated 9-4 Alabama to take the series on Monday, April...

Visitors attend Homegrown at Northgate, an annual farmers and artisan market on Sunday, April 16, 2024. (Samuel Falade/The Battalion)
Homegrown brings food trucks, local vendors, live music to Northgate
Nadia Abusaid, Life & Arts Writer • April 15, 2024

A cool breeze flows on a Sunday as people listen to the strums of a guitar and smooth vocals. People stroll past stands and food trucks, stopping...

Guest contributor says students pose an unacceptable danger to local motorists. (Photo via Nile/Pixabay)
Letter to the editor: No-More-Student-Drivers
Trey Bass, Guest Contributor • April 15, 2024

Dear Editor,  I am writing to discuss the current state of our city and some glaring issues I have noticed being perpetrated on the innocent...

A&M women’s lacrosse wins it all in doubleheader

Texas A&M women’s lacrosse sophomore midfielder Marielia Du Toit scored a goal to help the Aggies win against Texas State on Feb. 25 at Penberthy Rec Sports Complex. (Photo by Maeve O’Donovan, JOUR 359 contributor)

The Texas A&M women’s lacrosse club went 2-0 in its home doubleheader, defeating SMU 11-4 and Texas State 18-1 on Feb. 25 at the Penberthy Rec Sports Complex.

In the Aggies’ first match against SMU, they were off to a successful start, finishing the first quarter with a 3-0 lead. The second quarter began with another quick goal for the Maroon and White by sophomore midfielder Abby Konicki. Feed passes and cutting helped SMU to score on a couple of fast breaks, ending the first half at 4-2.

The Aggies were quick to win the ball in the face-off to start the third quarter, using communication and clearing tactics to defend themselves. The Maroon and White focused on controlling the crease and scoring off quick passes to players cutting towards the goal. Both teams increased the intensity with clamping and face-dodging techniques, fighting for the points to win.

The Aggies had a fast break for junior attacker Lauren Carmona to score the final penalty shot and end the game with an Aggie victory.

A&M hosted Texas State in its second game of the day, starting the game strong with another fast break and goal scored by Carmona. Impressive blocking techniques were used by freshman goalie Shen Jai Subawalla to save attempted goals and encouraged collective passing among the Aggies.

The Maroon and White were up 5-0 after the first quarter, continuing their success with two more goals at the crease from sophomore midfielder Marielia Du Toit. Sophomore attacker Alex Sanders ran the field to fake out the Texas State goalie and score, finishing the first half up 9-0.

The Aggies’ success continued in the second half as they executed the strategy to communicate clearly and pass around the crease to score more quick stick goals. The third quarter ended 14-1 when the Aggies let their guard down and Texas State was able to sneak in its first goal.

No. 12 for the Aggies, junior midfielder Griffyn Young, cut the crease to score her first goal of the day, followed by another shot on goal by Carmona in the final minute of the game. The Aggies came out victorious to sweep the doubleheader against both rival state schools.

The Aggies will next host Oklahoma at 11 a.m. and LSU at 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 3 at the Penberthy Rec Sports Complex. Follow A&M Women’s Lacrosse @TamuWLax on Instagram.

Maeve O’Donovan is a university studies senior and contributed this article from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.