A&M’s Jeff Maggert wins U.S Senior Open

Harry How – Getty Images

Jeff Maggert celebrating his win at the U.S. Senior Open. 

A&M’s Jeff Maggert is quickly becoming a star on the Champions Tour.

Maggert won the U.S. Senior Open on Sunday and claimed his second major championship in the last two months. He shot a 5-under-par, 65 in his final round and beat defending champion Colin Montgomerie by two strokes. Maggert finished the tournament with a 10-under 270.

The Woodlands native didn’t have it easy on the 18th hole to close out the tournament. Maggert hit his approach shot in an awkward position on the upslope of a green-side bunker but managed to get it up and down. He hit it to within four feet of the cup and made the putt for par to secure the victory.

Maggert’s career has taken off on the Champions Tour. He now has three victories in the span of just over a year compared to his three victories on the PGA tour, where he competed for about 20 years.

“It’s satisfying just because the guys out here on the Champions Tour are the same guys that I was trying to beat 20 years ago,” Maggert said.

The 51-year-old won his first major championship last month by winning the Regent Traditions in Alabama. Maggert now has three victories on the Champions Tour with his other win coming at the Mississippi Golf Resort Classic last year.

While on the PGA Tour, Maggert came close to winning the U.S. Open twice, finishing in solo third in both 2002 and 2004.

“I had a lot of good runs in the U.S. Open over the years and probably lacked a little maturity to pull it off,” Maggert said. “But certainly, now that I’m an old guy, I’ve learned a lot and was able to just steady myself and play well.”

Maggert’s play has been consistently improving this season on the Champions Tour, ranking in the top 25 for every major statistical category. Maggert sits in third place in scoring average with a 69.92 and is seventh in greens in regulation with 74.2 percent hit.
Maggert will look to continue his fine run of form next month at the Senior British Open.