April Ryan grand slam provides for a hot night in run-rule victory for Aggie softball

Mary Reyes

The Texas A&M softball team defeated the Lamar Cardinals 13‐0 in five innings Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex.

An eight-run first inning helped the Texas A&M softball team defeat the Lamar Cardinals 13-0 in five innings Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex.

The No. 23 Aggies (33-12, 8-7 SEC) pounced on the Cardinals from the get-go. Head Coach Jo Evans was pleased with the all-around execution of her club tonight.

“I thought we did a good job taking advantage of their mistakes and getting up there and stroking the ball,” Evans said. “We were taking our walks early and squaring the ball up.”

Evans continued on about getting a big night of production out of her offense.

“We don’t get those games very often where you can relax and sit back in the dugout,” Evans said. “Usually it’s a heated battle but I loved the way I saw the kids came out hitting. I thought April Ryan was terrific tonight. She went out there and went with the pitch. The first hit she gets in the third inning, she hits it hard and then the next at-bat she goes the other way and hits a grand slam. It’s just nice to see her out there feeling comfortable.”

The first two Aggie runs came off a peculiar sequence in the first inning. Freshman Ashley Walters came up to the plate with the bases loaded and hit a grounder to shortstop. The Lamar shortstop threw home to get a force-out, but the catcher lifted her foot off the plate and the umpire called the Aggie safe at home. However, the Lamar players thought the inning was over with their double play, and in turn, another Aggie rounded third and scored the second run of the game.

After two more runs in the first to increase the Aggie advantage to 4-0, sophomore April Ryan came up to the plate with the bases loaded against starting pitcher Laura Napoli and belted a grand slam to complete the eight-run first inning. Napoli only made it one inning, allowing ten runs. Ryan spoke about her change to leading off the Aggie lineup.

“I just pretend that it’s the middle of the game and I’m leading off the next inning,” Ryan said.
Homers from Celena Massey and Cali Lanphear along with a 3 RBI day from Kayla Ober also aided the blowout. The Aggies take their show on the road when they face the No. 1 LSU Tigers for a three-game series beginning this Saturday.