A&M women’s club soccer ties against Alabama

Photo by Lydia Vidales, JOUR 359 Contributor.

Health freshman Caroline Geertsema throws in during the women’s club soccer scrimmage against Alabama on Oct. 6 at Penberthy Rec Center.

As the sun set on Penberthy Field 10, the 2-3 Texas A&M women’s club soccer team kicked off a frustrating, scoreless scrimmage against Alabama.
Despite the Aggies’ efforts and multiple attempts to score, Alabama’s goalkeeper delivered outstanding saves in the intense 90-minute deadlock.
Junior wing/forward Kelsey Lyle created numerous scoring opportunities, but the Alabama goalkeeper proved to be a formidable obstacle.
“It didn’t help that they had a good keeper,” Lyle said.
Sophomore striker/wing Madeline Day praised the team’s ability to create the chances to score, but said the team still found itself in a frustrating slump.
“We did a good job of connecting our through balls and passes to feet,” Day said. “We’ve been in a finishing rut these past three games.”
After a water break during the second half, the Maroon and White energy picked up their energy but ultimately couldn’t connect in the goal.
“We 100% dominated the first half,” Lyle said. “The water break was a reality check for us to pick up the intensity.”
Junior defensive back Rosa Candelerio played a pivotal role in ensuring Alabama remained scoreless.
“Defense wins games, but we have to score to win,” Candelerio said.
On Saturday, Oct. 14, the Aggies will travel to the University Of Texas to continue regular season play.
Follow the Women’s Club Soccer team at @TAMUWomensClubSoccer on Instagram.
Lydia Vidales is a recreation, parks and tourism sciences senior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.