The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

A&M men’s tennis cruises en route to home doubleheader sweep

Photo by Caleb Powell

Junior Noah Schachter and sophomore Kenner Taylor celebrate after winning their doubles match against the University of Texas at the Mitchell Tennis Center on Wednesday, Mar. 9, 2022.

Returning home after a winning road trip, the Aggies kept their momentum from a shutout win in Baton Rouge, La., alive. With a quick doubleheader before finishing the regular season away from home, the maroon and white collected two dominant victories.
No. 24 Texas A&M men’s tennis played host to No. 35 Ole Miss and UTRGV at Mitchell Tennis Center on Sunday, April 10. In a top-35 SEC showdown in the first match of the doubleheader, the Aggies narrowly missed back-to-back shutout wins.
Match 1
A&M took care of business in doubles to grab an early 1-0 lead. The No. 61 duo of sophomore Kenner Taylor and junior Noah Schachter upset the Rebels’ No. 17 duo of senior Finn Reynolds and junior Lukas Engelhardt with an impressive 6-2 set win. The Aggie duo of freshman Stefan Storch and junior Austin Abbrat secured the match point with a 6-4 set win. The third doubles matchup on Court 2 went unfinished.
The Aggies started singles play with a straight-sets victory by sophomore Raphael Perot, 6-3, 7-5. A&M junior and No. 104 Guido Marson followed with a straight-sets win of his own — 6-1, 7-5 — to give the maroon and white a commanding 3-0 lead.
On the precipice of locking up the match victory, the Aggies wasted no time. On Court 4, freshman Giulio Perego defeated Engelhardt with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 set win to put A&M up 4-0.
No. 80 Schachter pulled off another upset, this time in singles over Ole Miss junior and No. 32 Nikola Slavic. Schachter’s 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 set win made it a 5-0 Aggie advantage, and A&M freshman Luke Casper followed it up with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 set win.
Ole Miss obtained its lone point of the match on Court 5 behind a hard-fought 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 set win by senior Simon Junk over A&M sophomore Matthis Ross. This set was moot, though, as the Aggies picked up the match win 6-1.
“I was real pleased with how we came out in the doubles against Ole Miss,” A&M coach Steve Denton told 12thman.com. “I think that was a big point against them because they are [a] good doubles team.”
The result dropped the Rebels to 12-11 on the season and 2-8 in SEC play. It was the Aggies’ 20th win of the season, as they moved to 20-10 and 7-3 in SEC competition.
Match 2
A&M went back to work in the nightcap of the doubleheader with a non-conference matchup, and it put together another sterling performance.
The Aggies swept in doubles to take a 1-0 lead. Taylor paired with sophomore Anish Sriniketh to win their set 6-4, and Perot played with freshman Mathis Bondaz to also earn a 6-4 set win. Storch and sophomore Rahul Dhokia combined for a highly competitive 7-6 set win over UTRGV’s duo of seniors Alberto Mello and Carlo Izurieta.
A&M turned to singles, looking to finish strong against the Vaqueros, and that’s exactly what it did. Abbrat annihilated UTRGV junior Michael Davis with a 6-0, 6-0, straight-sets win to give the Aggies a 2-0 lead. A&M sophomore Pierce Rollins then secured a straight-sets win in similar fashion, 6-1, 6-1.
Dhokia continued the maroon and white domination with a 6-1, 6-2, straight-sets win that gave the Aggies the match victory, and Storch added on with a 6-1, 6-3, straight-sets victory over Mello to put A&M ahead 5-0.
Sriniketh brought the Aggies one step closer to a shutout match win with his gutsy 6-4, 7-6, straight-sets win over UTRGV junior Misha Kvantaliani, but Izurieta got the Vaqueros on the board with a grind-it-out 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 set win over Bondaz.
The set win by Izurieta was only a consolation prize for the visitors, as A&M won the match by a final score of 6-1.
“UTRGV was a very spirited group, and we had a tight doubles on all three lines,” Denton told 12thman.com following the day’s action.
The second match victory moves A&M to 21-10 on the season, with wins in seven of its last nine matches. Meanwhile, the loss drops UTRGV to a lowly 5-16 on the season.
A&M will now attempt to maintain its winning ways, but it will be tested, as the Aggies travel to Columbia, S.C., to face the No. 9 Gamecocks at Carolina Tennis Center on Friday, April 15 at 4 p.m.