Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Athing Mu sets school record in 1,500-meter as A&M falls to Texas in dual meet

Photo by Photo by Aiden Shertzer

Athing Mu, freshman middle-distance runner, helped the 4×400 relay team set a Sports Performance Center facility record at the Texas Tech Invitational.

The Texas A&M men’s and women’s track and field teams both lost to Texas on Saturday, while freshman Athing Mu set the school record in the 1,500-meter in the dual meet at Mike A. Myers Stadium.
Mu and redshirt junior Tyra Gittens both posted NCAA-leading marks in their events, Mu in the women’s 1,500-meter and Gittens in the women’s high jump. A&M recorded 18 personal bests and six all-time program top-12 marks, while winning a total of 12 events.
The men’s team lost the meet with a final score of 113-90, and the women’s team lost with a score of 125-78.
“We have a lot of selfishness on our team and we are going to correct it,” A&M coach Pat Henry told 12thman.com. “I’m not going to have a team that doesn’t care about each other and is only worried about themselves.”
Mu set her fifth school record and first outdoor record with a time of 4:16.06 to win the women’s 1,500-meter in her individual outdoor debut.
Gittens won the high jump after clearing 1.90m/6-2.75, which is No. 2 on the all-time A&M outdoor list. She made first attempt clearances at 1.81m/5-11.25, 1.85m/6-0.75 and the winning 1.90m/6-2.75.
The Aggies swept the 4×400-meter relays with the women running a time of 3:29.43 and the men recording a 3:03.72.
Josh Brown won the men’s discus by throwing 54.84m/179-1, which was more than three meters above second place Sean Stavinoha of Texas at 51.32m/168-4.
Zach Davis won the men’s pole vault after clearing 5.10m/16-8.75, with Michael Schmuhl and Sean Clarke clearing the same height but in more attempts.
Deborah Acquah came into the meet ranked No. 1 in the NCAA in the women’s triple jump and took home the event title with a jump of 12.97m/42-6.75.
The Aggies continued success in field events with Alessio Pirruccio winning the men’s hammer throw after launching it 56.11m/184-1. Carter Bajoit won the men’s high jump clearing 2.00m/6-6.75.
“Overall, we had some great individual performances I was pleased with,” Henry told 12thman.com. “I’m not pleased with our team’s performance.”
Connor Schulman won the men’s 110-meter hurdles with a 13.95, which elevated him above second place Charles Brockman III of Texas who ran a 14.07.
Dominique Mustin won the women’s 400-meter hurdles with a time of 58.48, which was just good enough to beat Brooke Jaworski of Texas with a time of 58.72.
William Petersson won the men’s javelin with a throw of 65.80m/215-10, which was 0.12 meters better than Sam Hankins who threw 65.68.
“They’ll be ready to run at home,” Henry told 12thman.com. “We’ve had two tough meets in a row for some.”
A&M will host its first outdoor meet, the Texas A&M Team Invitational from April 9-10 at E.B. Cushing Stadium.