Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Avery Johnson Jr. exits Aggie basketball program, allegedly joins father at Alabama

Avery Johnson Jr. averaged 1.4 points and saw action in just 13 games.

Avery Johnson Jr. has decided to transfer from Texas A&M to reportedly join his father at Alabama where he was hired as head coach this offseason.

The sophomore guard averaged 1.4 points per game with the Aggies and played limited minutes in only 13 games.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Johnson Jr. was a three-star prospect coming out of high school and led Plano West High School to a district championship while averaging 15 points and 4 rebounds per game as a senior.

Johnson Jr. was released Friday afternoon by A&M as part of a mutual decision to part ways. He tweeted twice in the afternoon announcing his decision to transfer.

“First off, I just want to say [thanks] to Coach Kennedy [and] his staff for offering me a scholarship and giving me a great opportunity to play here,” Johnson Jr. said in the tweet.

Under the NCAA’s transfer rules, Johnson will not be eligible to play in the 2015-2016 season. He will have to sit out a season and play as a redshirt sophomore during the 2016-2017 season.

“Also, I want to thank all my teammate’s for everything but I have decided to transfer to another school to continue my basketball career,” Johnson Jr. continued in another tweet.
Texas A&M point guards heading into next season are now senior Alex Caruso, sophomore Alex Robinson, and senior Anthony Collins who transferred from UCF.