Baseball advances in SEC Tournament with 3-1 win over Vanderbilt

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Senior pitcher Kaylor Chafin pitched one inning against the Rebels and allowed one run.

Texas A&M took home a first-round win at the SEC Tournament after defeating Vanderbilt 3-1 at the Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Alabama on Tuesday.
With the win A&M (37-19, 13-17 SEC) will face 3-seed Georgia in the second round.
A&M fought back in the fifth and were able to earn the lead after a throwing error by Vanderbilt brought home junior catcher, Cole Bedford. Bedford had previously hit a single to right field that returned Allonte Wingate home to tie the ballgame.
The Aggies added another run to the scoreboard in the seventh with George Janca traveling the bases. Janca earned first with a single to right field before being brought to second by a bunt by Bedford, and third by a groundout from Zach DeLoach. He finished his circulation when junior infielder, Michael Helman singled to third, brining the score to 3-1.
Following an hour rain delay, the Commodores opened the game with a solo run by junior, Julian Infante. Infante landed on first after hitting a single up the middle, but saw second and third base from errors made by A&M. He advanced to second off a balk and moved to third after fellow teammate, Jayson Gonzalez grounded out to third.
Helman led the Aggies on the offense with one RBI and went 2-for-4 at bat. Behind Helman were fellow offensive leaders, Cole Bedford and Logan Foster, who both went 1-for-3 during their time on the plate.
On the mound, A&M was led by starting pitcher Kaylor Chafin and reliever Nolan Hoffman. Chafin carved out 6.0 innings with five strikeouts and allowed one run. Hoffman completed his 13th save of the season after pitching three innings with no runs and three strikeouts.
The Aggies will continue their tournament journey when they face Georgia on Wednesday. The first pitch is set for 9:30 a.m. and the game can be seen on the SEC Network.