The Editor-in-Chiefs of The Aggieland Yearbook, The Battalion, and Maroon Life magazine pose for a photo in The Battalion office studio on Wednesday, May 1, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
The ‘Write’ stuff: A&M Student Media announces 2024-25 leadership
Meet the new editors of The Battalion, Aggieland Yearbook, Maroon Life magazine
Ana Renfroe, Head News Editor • May 4, 2024
Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) hits the ball during Texas A&M’s game against Rice at Olsen Field on Tuesday, May 7, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A&M finishes undefeated in nonconference play with 16-3 win over Rice

For the first time since 2015, Texas A&M baseball finished its nonconference slate undefeated with a 16-3, run-rule win over Rice on Tuesday,...

Battle in the bayou: A&M volleyball beats LSU 3-1

Photo by Jaime Rowe

Sophomore L Ava Underewood (12) bumps the ball during Texas A&M’s game against Mississippi State on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023.

Off the back of a sweep over Mississippi State, Texas A&M volleyball returned to SEC action versus LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on Friday, Oct. 13.

The Aggies came into the game 4-2 in conference play in a three-way tie for fourth in the conference. The Maroon and White closed out the three-game road slate with a 3-1 win against a tough LSU squad.

A&M fell behind 3-1 early in the first set, but a kill by sophomore outside hitter Logan Lednicky brought A&M back within one. Later on, a block by freshman outside hitter Bianna Muoneke and back-to-back attack errors by the Tigers gave the Aggies a 6-5 lead.

With the score 9-8 in LSU’s favor, sophomore middle blocker Ifenna Cos-Okpalla ended a fantastic rally with a kill to even the score. Both teams then traded points, but the Tigers took a 15-13 lead into a media timeout.

Back-to-back blocks and a service ace by freshman setter Margot Manning gave A&M a 16-15 lead right out of the timeout. LSU then called timeout after an attack error by graduate LSU outside hitter Sanaa Dotson gave A&M a 17-15 lead.

The Tigers evened the score out of the break, but the Aggies took a late 20-17 lead after a kill by sophomore middle blocker Morgan Perkins. Coach Jamie Morrison was then forced to call timeout after the Tigers brought the score to 22 a piece.

Both teams traded points, but Lednicky gave A&M set point and then finished the job, tipping the ball over LSU’s block attempt to give the Aggies the set 25-23.

The second set was highlighted by the Tigers’ service aces, which aided in giving LSU a big lead early that it did not give up.

LSU jumped out of the gates to start the second set with three service aces to grab an early 4-1 lead. The Aggies tried to fight back, but LSU rattled off four straight points to take a 11-5 lead, forcing Morrison to burn a timeout.

LSU’s 6-0 run came to an end after a service error, but the Tigers’ fifth service ace of the set by sophomore setter Maddie Waak gave LSU a 15-7 lead.

The Aggies fought back with a kill by Muoneke to bring the score to 20-15. However, the Tigers responded like they did all set by going on a 5-1 run to take the second set.

A&M bounced back at the start of the third set, taking an early 4-0 lead after a service ace by sophomore libero Ava Underwood. LSU battled back though, evening the score at five a piece after three straight kills by senior outside hitter Jade Demps.

The Aggies took a 10-7 lead, but an attack error by Cos-Okpalla and a kill by sophomore LSU libero Bri Anderson brought the Tigers within one. Both teams traded points, but A&M held onto a 3-point lead into a media timeout after a kill by Muoneke.

After an LSU timeout, the Aggies extended the lead to 19-13 after a block and kill by freshman opposite hitter Ital Lopuyo. LSU was forced to call its second timeout of the set after a hit out of bounds by Dotson extended A&M’s lead, 22-16.

LSU went on a short 3-0 run, but a kill by Muoneke brought set point. Lednicky went on to win the Aggies the set, 25-21, after a kill from the right side of the net.

A&M got out to an early 5-2 lead in the fourth set after a kill by Perkins. A bad set by Manning gave LSU a point, but kills by Muoneke and Lopuyo gave A&M a 7-3 lead. Both teams went back-and-forth, but A&M took a 12-6 lead after a hit out of bounds by LSU sophomore outside hitter Ellie Echter.

The Aggies extended their lead to seven later in the set after Perkins’ fourth kill of the night made the score 17-10. Lednicky brought the score to match point and Muoneke ended the match after her kill hit off an LSU player’s hand and landed out of bounds.

Lednicky led the way offensively for A&M with 14 kills. Muoneke followed with 13 kills and graduate outside hitter Caroline Meuth had 11 kills on the night.

A&M improved to 5-2 in conference play with the win. Next for the Aggies is a return to Reed Arena on Sunday, Oct. 15, to play South Carolina. First serve is set for 2 p.m.