Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) celebrates a home run during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Winning 9 to 5: A&M beats Tennessee in Game 1 of College World Series finals
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 23, 2024

While Texas A&M baseball had never appeared in the College World Series finals before Saturday, the Aggies played as if they were seasoned...

Buzz Williams settles into new role as men’s basketball head coach

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Buzz Williams was introduced as the next men’s basketball head coach at an introductory press conference on Thursday, April 4.

As soon as the plane landed on Wednesday afternoon in College Station, new Texas A&M basketball coach Buzz Williams went to work immediately.
Williams went to Reed Arena to meet with the team followed by a tour of the arena, which he hasn’t been in since he left to become the University of New Orleans head coach in 2006.
“It was intense,” sophomore guard TJ Starks said about the meeting. “He has a lot of energy. He’s coming in and trying to make a change. He showed his love. It was good for us to meet him last night and get that experience under our belt.”
Thursday morning Williams watched the players work out and said he wants to build relationships with them based on trust, love and work.
“I don’t want to ever have preconceived ideas on the roster,” Williams said. “I don’t want to have preconceived ideas on the talent on the roster. I like parts of what I see. I know that there’s a lot of work in front of where we’re at, not only with our current roster, but what our future rosters need to be.”
Williams has not made any new hires since arriving in Aggieland, citing that he takes his time making new additions with personnel.
“I have some ideas,” Williams said. “We’ve made some progress in the last 36 hours in regards to that. It is not full. It won’t be full for a long time.”
All four players from former A&M head coach Billy Kennedy’s recruiting class in 2019 have been granted releases from their National Letters of Intent, and will be able to talk to new schools following the end of the dead period — a period where coaches are unable to talk to recruits and attend their games. Williams said that he will try to talk to those players, and that he still has a lot of players to sign.
Overall, Williams said returning to College Station was an eye-opening experience because of the new additions to the university and athletic stadiums.
“Just incredibly honored, grateful, overwhelmed with good emotion,” Williams said. “Hard to articulate it, not smart enough to articulate it in the right way. But incredibly thankful for the opportunity, for my family and I to be a part of Aggieland and all that comes with it.  And excited. Very excited.”