Champ to turn pro

Photo by Courtesy of Clyde Click

Senior Cameron Champ was one of two amateurs to compete at the 2017 US Open this past summer. He began golfing at the age of two and is well on his way to going professional. 

Senior Cameron Champ announced Monday that he is turning pro and made clear his intentions are to forgo his senior year of college golf eligibility.
The Sacramento, California native said his mind changed after he competed as an amateur in the U.S. Open in June. Champ was one of only two amateurs to make the cut, eventually finishing in a tie for 32nd. His power off the tee stood out as he led the field in driving distance, averaging 337.3 yards.
“Before the U.S. Open, I wasn’t even thinking about it,” Champ said to Golf Digest. “But when I made the cut at Erin Hills, that changed the whole game plan.”
Due to his U.S. Open finish, Champ received an exemption into the second stage of Web.com Tour Q-School, where he finished in a tie for 11th this weekend. He will now try to earn fully exempt status on the Web.com Tour at their Q-School Finals in December.
All players that qualify for the finals stage are guaranteed at least conditional status on the Web.com Tour next season. Champ also hopes to receive sponsor exemptions into some events on the PGA Tour in January and February, according to his agent Chris Armstrong.
Champ had one of the best seasons in recent memory for Texas A&M last year. As a junior, he maintained a 71.50 scoring average over 34 rounds and ended the season with one win and five top-five finishes. His efforts earned him First Team All-SEC Honors.
Along with his U.S. Open success over the summer, Champ represented the U.S. at the Walker Cup in Los Angeles, helping the team defeat Great Britain & Ireland 19-7. He also had strong performances in national amateur events, including a win at the Trans-Mississippi Amateur.
“I played well throughout the summer and that helped boost my confidence in turning pro,” Champ continued to Golf Digest. “I really think the timing is right.”
Champ will end his collegiate career at Texas A&M with 11 top-10 finishes and a 72.45 scoring average over 84 rounds.
Champ’s first tournament as a pro is this week at the PGA Tour’s OHL Classic at Mayakoba in Mexico where he has a sponsor exemption.