Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Chavis makes himself at home

Tim Lai — THE BATTALION
Defensive coordinator John Chavis leads a drill during spring practice.
Tim Lai — THE BATTALION Defensive coordinator John Chavis leads a drill during spring practice.

Texas A&M’s new defensive coordinator, John Chavis, is already making himself comfortable in College Station.
Chavis has a resume that speaks for itself. He began his career at Alabama A&M, where he led the highest ranking Division II defense in 1987 and 1988. After his time in Alabama he returned to his alma mater, Tennessee, where he stayed for 19 years.
Most recently Chavis served as the defensive coordinator for LSU. Over the course of his five years in Baton Rouge, 19 of the players he coached were drafted into the NFL, with five in the first round.
This season, he has a new home — Texas A&M.
“What wouldn’t be appealing? This is a university that has invested in its program,” Chavis said after practice Thursday. “You look at that stadium — it’s a place where you can recruit. There is a wealth of talent in Texas. Why wouldn’t you want to be a part of this at Texas A&M?”
It is unique that a defensive coordinator chooses to keep the current coaching staff when entering a new job. Chavis opted to keep the coaches that know Texas A&M and are comfortable with this university and the players.
“They’re fine men; they’re excellent football coaches,” Chavis said.
It is not just the staff that the new DC is excited about inheriting, but the young, talented Texas A&M team. He said his experience with the players thus far has been positive.
“The players are working their rear ends off, they are a great group of young men, they’re hungry and they’re putting in the effort right now,” Chavis said. “I was impressed with what our guys were able to get done today. It was a challenge, it was a tough practice and they pushed through it and I think they were better at the end of the practice then we were to begin with.”
The Aggie fan base expects change from the defenses of recent years and Chavis said the players’ self-esteem is paramount.
“The first thing we need to do is we need to get our guys confident,” Chavis said. “They’re good enough to play, they’re good enough to win in the SEC, and once they feel that way they’re going to be able to compete.”
Chavis — who has been in the business for 38 years and knows his way around the SEC — is a straightforward man that is looking to get results and do things the right way. He had nothing but positive things to say about the fan base here at A&M.
“There’s no doubt, and I’m talking about classy, I’m talking about great people,” Chavis said. “I’ve not seen a classier group of fans — and that’s well before I ever came here — than I did in Aggieland.”
Taking into consideration where he is in his career and his comfort level in College Station, Chavis wouldn’t be opposed to staying at A&M for an extended amount of time.
“If I could get eight or 10 good years here. If I could go that long, it’d be great,” Chavis said.