Childress calls matchup against UTA, ‘The most important game of the year’

Photo by Kathryn Perez

Ryne Birk batting against Arkansas last weekend.

Over the weekend, the A&M baseball team dropped its first weekend series of the season to the Arkansas Razorbacks. On their first losing streak of the season, the Aggies look to rebound Tuesday in their mid-week contest against the UT-Arlington Mavericks.

A&M is undefeated in mid-week games this season, outscoring its opponents in those games 80 to 22. Looming this weekend is a three-game series in Baton Rouge against No. 1 LSU, but the Aggies refuse to look ahead.

“The most important game of the year is Tuesday,” head coach Rob Childress said. “I’m not going to focus on next weekend. We need to get this taste out of our mouth on Tuesday and play better.”

UT-Arlington (17-21) comes in after winning its conference series against Troy this weekend. Levi Scott and Travis Sibley lead the charge on offense for the Mavericks. Scott leads the team with 33 RBIs and Sibley is second with 31, and both have batting averages well over .300 for the season. Scott leads the team with four home runs, and Sibley is second with two.

The Aggies (35-5, 12-5 SEC) have many weapons in the lineup, but the hottest of late is Logan Taylor. He hit two more home runs over the weekend and now has 10 on the season. Taylor also leads the team with 38 RBIs this year. Also hitting well is Nick Banks, who hit his second grand slam over the weekend. Banks, who is batting .408 on the year, said the team’s bounce-back from the weekend loss will be important.

“We have to respond against UTA. The response will really show a lot about our team.” Banks said. “We hadn’t lost back-to-back games yet, so we’ll be looking to make a big turnaround.”

On the mound for A&M will likely be freshman Turner Larkins. In his last outing on Tuesday against Abilene Christian, Larkins went four innings, allowing two earned runs on three hits. He is 4-1 this season in 10 starts, with a 3.52 ERA.

The Mavericks are 6-8 on the road this year, while A&M hold a 27-4 mark within the confines of Olsen Field. Game time is set of 2:05 p.m.

• Catcher Michael Barash trying to fight his Aggies back into the contest against Arkansas.

Photo by Vanessa Pena