Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

Chip chip, hooray

No. 19 A&M women’s golf rounded out its regular season as a runner-up at the Clemson Invitational
via @aggiewomensgolf Twitter

Sophomore Zoe Slaughter tied for ninth at the MountainView Collegiate tournament on Friday, March 19 through Sunday, March 21 at the Preserve at Saddlebrooke Golf Course in Tucson, Ariz.

The No. 19 Texas A&M women’s golf team headed to Sunset, South Carolina to complete its regular season in the Clemson Invitational at the par 72, 6,441-yard course, The Reserve at Lake Keowee on March 22-24.

The team landed as a runner-up for the competition.

Head coach Gerrod Chadwell took the same five players to South Carolina as he did for the team’s previous tourney at the Mountain View Collegiate in Arizona. The players were freshman Cayetana Fernández García-Poggio, graduate Jennie Park, senior Zoe Slaughter, junior Adela Cernousek and graduate Blanca Fernández García-Poggio.

Slaughter led her team in Round 1 with a shared fourth placement at 3-under 69. The senior shot a total of six birdies on her first day.

“It was great to see Zoe put together a great day,” Chadwell said. “She has been working on her game and she found something that brought some firepower to the course.”

Cernousek, who has four top-10 performances under her belt, finished Day 1 tied for 14th place going 1-under 71.

Blanca shared 20th with five birdies and an even par while her sister, Cayetana, the No. 6 amateur in the world, shot 1-over 73 with three birdies and shared 31st.

Park rounded out at 3-over 75 and a tie for 50th.

At the end of Round 1, the Aggies finished 3-under 285 tied for second with their host Clemson.

“We got off to a slow start but had a really good middle to end of the round,” Chadwell said.

Going into Round 2, Cernousek took the spot from Slaughter as team leader, moving up several spots to land in third going 5-under 67. She was 6-under 138 rounding out Day 2 and just five strokes short from taking first place.

Cayetana shot three birdies going 3-under 69 and tied for 15th. Blanca went even back-to-back and shared 27th.

Park tied for 57th going 2-over 74 and Slaughter tied for 37th after shooting 5-over 77.

A&M totaled a 6-under 282 in Round 2 and was knocked down a rank to third.

“We are right in there heading into tomorrow,” Chadwell said after Day 2. “Adela [Cernousek] got off to a blazing start. It was nice to see Adela and Cata [Fernández García-Poggio] have great days. We are so close to having a big one and we will have an opportunity tomorrow.”

Cernousek finished the Clemson Invitational taking the second place spot with a 2-under 70 for Round 3 and 8-under 208 overall, adding to her 70.21 stroke average.

The Maroon and White finished in second place for the second tournament in a row, shooting 6-under 858 through 54 holes.

Blanca and Cayetana tied for 16th and 19th, respectively. Blanca shot even par all three days while Cayetana went 3-over 75 for Day 3 and 1-over 217 overall.

Park shared 51st at 2-over 74 for Round 3 and 7-over 223 overall. Slaughter shared 58th, going 7-over 79 for Round 3 and 9-over 225 overall.

“We battled all the way through and finished strong,” Chadwell said. “We took another step forward this week. We didn’t have our best but fought until the end. We are heading in the right direction at the right time of the year. Fortunately, [we] have some time to rest before SECs.”

The Aggies are hoping to defend their title at the 2024 SEC Championships in Belleair, Florida at the Pelican Golf Club from April 12-16.