Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) pitches the ball during the Aggie softball teams Maroon & White game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023 at Davis Diamond (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).
A&M advances to Super Regionals with run-rule victory over Texas State

When Texas State softball senior RHP Jessica Mullins and Texas A&M junior LHP Emiley Kennedy each started Sunday’s Bryan-College Station...

City league coed rec team set for championship

Photo by Sara Lyon, JOUR 359.

Ball Busters (right) set up the ball for forensic investigative science senior Emily Linhart to spike against Innovative during the Oct. 10 game at the Lincoln Recreation Center in College Station.

After a short-lived bye week, Ball Busters is ready to play for the championship in the City of College Station competitive coed adult rec volleyball playoffs on Tuesday, Oct. 24.
Ball Busters is 21-3 and ranked No. 1 in a pool of five teams heading into the championship. The playoffs are held at the Lincoln Recreation Center beginning at 9 p.m. and consist of two rounds and one championship round.
Ball Busters’ only A&M student team member, forensic investigative science senior Emily Linhart, said the team will sit out of the first round due to its ranking. The Ball Busters do not know who it will play for its first playoff game, but there is a chance it will be Innovative, the team Ball Busters lost to on Oct. 10. If Ball Busters win at 9 p.m., they will get to play again at 9:45 p.m. for the championship round, according to teamsideline.com.
There are no scheduled practice times for Ball Busters before regular games or even playoff games. Instead, Ball Busters tries to scout out the other teams’ competition and examine trends and records from past seasons.
“We do not have a specific time or place for practicing throughout the week,” Linhart said. “Instead, we use open gym times on Thursdays, which is open for anyone to attend. Every season, it is the same team, so we are able to look back on that and prepare accordingly.”
Ball Busters coach Emilio Hernandez said he is excited to get his team back on the court and win a championship.
“The team has played strong in the past playoffs, and hopefully we can carry that on to the upcoming playoffs as well,” Hernandez said. “We won this past summer’s playoffs, and now we are ready to do it again.”
Sara Lyon is an agricultural leadership and development junior and contributed this article from JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.