A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

City league coed rec team set for championship

Photo by Sara Lyon, JOUR 359.

Ball Busters (right) set up the ball for forensic investigative science senior Emily Linhart to spike against Innovative during the Oct. 10 game at the Lincoln Recreation Center in College Station.

After a short-lived bye week, Ball Busters is ready to play for the championship in the City of College Station competitive coed adult rec volleyball playoffs on Tuesday, Oct. 24.
Ball Busters is 21-3 and ranked No. 1 in a pool of five teams heading into the championship. The playoffs are held at the Lincoln Recreation Center beginning at 9 p.m. and consist of two rounds and one championship round.
Ball Busters’ only A&M student team member, forensic investigative science senior Emily Linhart, said the team will sit out of the first round due to its ranking. The Ball Busters do not know who it will play for its first playoff game, but there is a chance it will be Innovative, the team Ball Busters lost to on Oct. 10. If Ball Busters win at 9 p.m., they will get to play again at 9:45 p.m. for the championship round, according to teamsideline.com.
There are no scheduled practice times for Ball Busters before regular games or even playoff games. Instead, Ball Busters tries to scout out the other teams’ competition and examine trends and records from past seasons.
“We do not have a specific time or place for practicing throughout the week,” Linhart said. “Instead, we use open gym times on Thursdays, which is open for anyone to attend. Every season, it is the same team, so we are able to look back on that and prepare accordingly.”
Ball Busters coach Emilio Hernandez said he is excited to get his team back on the court and win a championship.
“The team has played strong in the past playoffs, and hopefully we can carry that on to the upcoming playoffs as well,” Hernandez said. “We won this past summer’s playoffs, and now we are ready to do it again.”
Sara Lyon is an agricultural leadership and development junior and contributed this article from JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.