Corbelli steps down as head volleyball coach

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Laurie Corbelli was 519-253 in 25 seasons as Texas A&M’s head volleyball coach and led the Aggies to 20 NCAA Tournament appearances. 

Texas A&M head volleyball coach Laurie Corbelli announced late Tuesday afternoon that she will not be returning as head coach next season after 25 seasons.
Her resignation comes just three days after the Aggies finished regular-season play with a final overall record of 10-15 and a SEC record of 7-11, finishing in ninth place.
“I want to thank Laurie for her incredible commitment to A&M over the last 25 years,” Scott Woodward, director of Athletics at Texas A&M said. “Along with her husband, John, she impacted the lives of hundreds of student athletes and her legacy will carry on for years to come. We wish them both well.”
Laurie and John, who serves as the associate coach, came to A&M in 1993. During their time at A&M, Laurie and John have had a record of 519-253.
The duo led the Aggies to the NCAA Tournament in 20 seasons and finished in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Top 25 11 times. This year marked the first time since 2010 that A&M failed to make the postseason. Corbelli guided A&M to the NCAA Tournament in each of her first 13 seasons in Aggieland, advancing as far as the Elite Eight in both 1999 and 2008.
A&M’s most recent success under Corbelli came in 2015, as A&M won the SEC and held a 15-game winning streak before falling to Hawaii in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. Corbelli was tabbed SEC Coach of the Year that season. She earned Southwest Conference Coach of the Year honors in 1994 and 1995.
Prior to coming to A&M, Corbelli coached at San Francisco and Santa Clara. As a player, she earned a silver medal at the 1984 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
“John and I have been incredibly honored to serve Texas A&M for 25 amazing years,” said Corbelli. “We would like to thank John David Crow, Lynn Hickey and Wally Groff for bringing us to Aggieland in 1993. And, of course, to our remarkable current and former athletes and staff, we express our utmost gratitude and heartfelt thanks for your loyalty, your excellence, and your passion for becoming the best you can be. Gig ‘em, Aggies.”