Crowd boosts tourney run

Reed Arena gave the Texas A&M womens basketball team a certain level of comfort Saturday in the first round of the NCAA tournament in a 71-45 win over the Wichita State Shockers.
7,225 fans the most in attendance of any of the eight Saturday NCAA womens basketball first and second-round sites gave the Aggies a boost that was not lost on the hosting Aggies.
Having the support and a lot of peoples family and friends there, on your home court, who wouldnt like being at home in one of the biggest tournament games of the season? Were one step closer to New Orleans, said junior center Karla Gilbert.
Texas A&M (25-9), competing in its eighth consecutive NCAA tournament, found its rhythm against Wichita State late in the first half, closing out the period with a 16-2 run to take a 13-point lead. The Aggies momentum rolled into the second half with an early 12-2 surge.
A&M senior forward Kristi Bellock tied her career high with 18 points, going 9-for-12 from the field with six rebounds and two assists. Freshman guard Courtney Williams contributed 11 points along with six rebounds and four assists.
When you start talking about the way [Bellock] can push the ball in transition, or the way she runs the floor, she can stretch defenses as well, said junior center Kelsey Bone. It is exciting to play with her. When she is clicking on all cylinders we are a hard team to beat.
Bone added 10 points, all of which came in the second half after foul trouble sent her to the bench in the first.
For Wichita State (24-10), the loss cuts short its first NCAA tournament appearance and ends the most successful season in school history. The No. 3 seeded Aggies advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the sixth consecutive season, facing off against the No. 6 seed Nebraska at Reed Arena on Monday night.
After a strong fan presence at Saturdays matchup with Wichita State, A&M head coach Gary Blair hopes for continued attendance against Nebraska.
Our crowd was tremendous, Blair said. Hopefully we can have some more on Monday night. Our season ticket base was 2,900 and now all of a sudden its 7,200.
During Sundays press conference, Blair said he takes his next opponent seriously.
From here on out its survive and advance, Blair said. We begin the second half of this journey today and well see if we can continue to figure out that formula. Were going to play a very good and well-coached team tomorrow in Nebraska.
Nebraska (24-8), a former Big 12 foe that joined the Big Ten in 2011, will face the Aggies for the first time since leaving both programs former league. The Cornhuskers lead the all-time series against A&M 14-9, but the Aggies have won six of the past eight meetings, including an 84-49 win in Nebraskas final year with the Big 12.
Bellock said the Cornhuskers will be in for a tough match against the surging Aggies, who have now won four straight.
We are a very good team and we are very well-coached, Bellock said. I think we are very tough and we have a lot of keys and when everyone comes with the right mind frame and go-out-there attitude, this team can be very good and very dangerous. If I was Nebraska, I wouldnt want to play us.