Diving into SECs headfirst

No. 8 A&M men’s swim & dive makes statement in Day 1 of SEC Championships
Photo by CJ Smith

Junior diving Rhett Hensley enters the water after completing his 1 meter dive during Texas A&M’s swim meet against UIW on Friday, Sept. 29, 2023 at Rec Center Natatorium. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

In a new twist, the SEC Championships for swimming and diving added a new day to the event, making men’s 1-meter diving its own day. The new change didn’t shake No. 8 Texas A&M as it came away with the top two spots in the event.

The event was headlined by senior Victor Povzner, who dived into first once again with a score of 403.05, defending his spot as the best 1m diver in the SEC. Junior Rhett Hensley posted a career-best score of 381.60 to take second.

The Maroon and White continued the momentum, adding on two more divers into the top 10. Senior Takuto Endo made his way into fourth place with a score of 362.90 while junior Allen Bottego placed 10th with 289.75.

“Our divers have gotten us started really well again,” Holmes said. “It’s just what they do. An awesome job again by Victor [Povzner] for the win and seeing Takuto [Endo] be steady the whole day was great to see.”

Heading into Day 2, the Aggies have blazed through the competition, picking up 103 points so far.

The action continues on Tuesday, Feb. 20 with women’s 3-meter diving, men’s diving team event and the swimming starts with the 200-yard medley relay and the 800-yard freestyle relay.