Double from Nau in fifth wins game and series for Aggie baseball

After taking game one, the Aggie baseball team ended its SEC series losing streak by clinching the series against Tennessee with a 6-1 victory Saturday night.

Tennessee (18-23, 7-16 SEC) started the scoring with an RBI single from AJ Simcox to take an early 1-0 lead in the first inning.

A&M (40-7, 15-7 SEC) earned the run back in the fourth inning with a Nick Banks RBI double to make it a 1-1 tie game.

The biggest hit for A&M came in the fifth inning. After loading the bases, Mitchell Nau stepped in and hit an RBI double to the right center field gap. It was a bases clearing double that gave Nau three RBIs, and A&M a 4-1 lead that they did not give up. It was Nau’s only hit of the game, but it was the one that gave A&M the big lead.

Ryan Hendrix had a very good performance on the mound. He worked six innings, scattering four hits and allowing one run on the night. He also struck out five Volunteers in the game

The Aggies added insurance runs in the sixth inning behind a Hunter Melton RBI triple and a sacrifice fly from Ronnie Gideon that notched a 6-1 lead after six innings of play.

Behind Hendrix, Matt Kent came on to earn his first save of the year, and officially shut the door for A&M. He pitched for three innings, and struck out six in that span, allowing only one hit.

A&M will now go for its first three game sweep since its first SEC series against Auburn in early March. Game time is scheduled for 1:05 pm.