Elimination of Arnaus and Yate in Lubbock Regional concludes Aggie men’s golf’s season

Neither Adrià Arnaus nor Greg Yates will continue to represent Texas A&M men’s golf  team in NCAA postseason play after both golfers fell short in the NCAA Lubbock Regional at the Rawls Course in Lubbock, Texas on Saturday.

No. 80 Arnaus and No. 99 Yates needed to place atop all individualists, who were not already on one of the five advancing teams from the Regional, in order to advance to the NCAA Championships in Bradenton, Florida on May 29.

However, that spot was seized by Louisville’s No. 36 Robin Sciot-Siegrist, who used a final round -1 (70) to climb into a tie at -5, for the tournament, with California’s No. 94 K.K. Limbhasut, who shot +3 (74) on the final day. Sciot-Siegrist then defeated Limbhasut on the first hole of a playoff to punch his ticket to Bradenton.

Arnaus, who sat within striking distance heading into Saturday at even par for the tournament, flirted with the -5 score he would need to match or improve upon to have a chance to advance. Arnaus recorded seven pars and sprinkled in four birdies through his first eleven holes of play, but completed his final seven holes in +6 fashion with four bogeys and a double bogey to shoot +2 (73) and finish at +2 overall.

Yates had opened tournament play with a -2 (69) on Thursday, which positioned himself nicely for Friday and Saturday, but he proceeded to back that up with rounds of +4 (75) and +3 (74) to finish at +5, ten strokes off Sciot-Siegrist’s and Limbhasut’s pace.

No. 3 Texas, No. 7 Auburn, Regional host No. 11 Texas Tech, No. 38 Houston and No. 43 Duke all advanced from the field of 13 teams at the Lubbock Regional on to the NCAA Championship.
Texas A&M as a team did not qualify to compete in Regionals. Thus, the elimination of Arnaus and Yates from Regionals marks the conclusion of the 2014-15 Texas A&M men’s golf campaign.