Equestrian closes out regular season against TCU Saturday

Equestrian
Photo by Photo by Brian Okosun
Equestrian

With the Championship finals in their sights, the Aggies hope to redeem themselves against No. 9 TCU in the final regular season matchup.

Texas A&M rides into this match up with a 7-4, 3-3 record following a series of losses. The Aggies have dropped their last two competitions against Georgia and Auburn. At one time the Aggies stood at the top of the nation’s leaderboard. Now they hope to build some momentum against No. 9 TCU (5-7, 0-4 Big 12).

The Aggies have not faced this out-of-conference opponent since 2013 when they fell 14-6 in Springtown. Now at their home stable, A&M head coach Tana McKay says she wants to take advantage of being on their own horses.

“Winning obviously takes care of a lot of things and when you’ve got some L’s on the board, it creates a whole other round of challenges to test you as athletes and coaches,” McKay said. “I think that will only make us stronger. But being able to come away with a win would be a definite confidence booster.”

As of late, the Aggies have struggled to put points on the board. However, they continue to notch their best scores in the Western categories. They will have their work cut out for them against Horsemanship specialist Laska Anderson of TCU who’s tallied a team-high 5 MOP honors.  

“We want to play clean, mistake free, and come out the end sayings that’s the best we could do,” McKay said. “No regrets, leave it all out there, like I feel like we’ve done in the past. But it’s a judged sport and just hasn’t come out in our direction. It’s just tightening up some nuts and bolts here but for the most part we’re where we need to be going into the post-season. I’m happy with where we’re at.”

The Aggies take the field for their final regular season competition Saturday morning at 11 am at the Hildebrand Equine Complex in College Station.