Equestrian closes out regular season with win over TCU

Equestrian
Photo by File
Equestrian

The No. 4 Aggies closed out their regular season after defeating No. 9 TCU 12-7 to finish 8-4, 3-3 SEC. After suffering two consecutive losses leading up to the final match, A&M was on able to snap a losing streak just in time for the post season. However, the Aggies racked up more points than their last two outings combined to take down the Horned Frogs (5-8, 0-4 Big XII).

“This was a really tough meet,” head coach Tana McKay told 12thman.com. “We had a lot of things thrown at us but overall I’m really happy with the way the girls rode. It is a great way to end our final home meet of the season…. I am very happy with today.”

The Aggies kicked things off in Equitation over Fences where they fell 3-2. Junior Rachael Hake scored the first point topping Kari Hancock of TCU, 88-76. Junior Alex Desiderio rounded off the category with a 92-77 victory over Molly Peddicord, TCU’s MOP-leader.

In the Western arena, the Aggies began what has been their most impressive category. They took the Horsemanship competition 4-1 led by junior Avery Ellis outscoring Rylee Morgan, 77-76 in her MOP efforts. Junior Bailey Cook, Rachel Lucht, and senior Kaci Fisher each contributed points of their own to send the Aggies into a halftime 6-4 lead.

The Aggies put the match out of reach of the Horned Frogs with another 4-1 victory in Equitation on Flat. Sophomore Rebekah Chenelle notched the Aggies’ first point defeating Molly Peddicord yet again, 73-59. Desiderio tallied her second win of the day and earned another MOP honors with her 67-60 defeat of Jayme Omand. Hake and senior Anna Rea closed out the category scoring points of their own.

A&M was able to hold TCU at bay in the Reining category with a 2-2 tie. Seniors Kate Grider and Sarah McEntire each tacked on points to put the match to bed.
The Aggies return to action Friday, March 24th at the SEC Championships in Auburn, Alabama.