Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Fast and furious

No. 10 A&M men’s swimming and diving breaks program records en route to top-20 finish at NCAA Championships
Photo by CJ Smith

Junior Trey Dickey swims in the Men 500 LC Meter Freestyle during the 2023 Art Adamson Invitational at the Texas A&M Natatorium on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

Headed into NCAA Championships, No. 10 Texas A&M men’s swimming & diving were in a good place. The team finished the regular season undefeated, including wins over No. 6 Tennessee and No. 7 Texas and shattered multiple program records.

With momentum in hand, the Maroon and White finished 16th at NCAA Championships, headlined by what they’ve done all season: breaking records.

Sophomore Connor Foote broke the school record in the 50-yard freestyle earlier this year, and if that wasn’t enough, he lowered it once again as the lead-off in the 200-yard freestyle relay, going 18.87.

Foote, along with freshman Ben Scholl, junior Seth Reno and senior Collin Fuchs clocked in a season-best 1:16.21 to grab 16th.

Picking up where he left off, Foote claimed the 100-yard freestyle program record as he went 41.60 in prelims and broke it again in finals, going 41.49 to finish 12th and earned All-American accolades.

Fellow sophomore Baylor Nelson continued his terrific second-year campaign, earning a podium spot in the 400-yard individual medley with a third-place finish. He broke the program record with 3:37.46 and grabbed All-American honors.

Junior Trey Dickey took down two records in one swim in the 1,650-yard freestyle as his 1,000 split time of 8:57.62 took down his previous school record and his overall time of 14:46.70 posted as a new program record, earning Honorable Mention All-American awards.

“The five school records this week were fun,” coach Jay Holmes said. “Baylor [Nelson] finally getting his and breaking our 400 IM record is well deserved. He has worked so hard and earned it. ”

A&M collected All-American honors throughout the meet. The first race for the Aggies garnered Honorable Mention All-American honors as Nelson, Foote, School and senior Alex Sanchez went 1:23.72 in the 200-yard medley relay to grab 15th as well as the fourth-best time in program history.

Senior Victor Povzner dived into Honorable Mention All-American accolades as he scored 13th in the 1-meter with a score of 358.50. Then, to grab his seventh All-American award in his career, Pvozner took home sixth in the 3-meter with a score of 404.50.

Nelson picked up another All-American honor as he clocked in at 1:41.54 in the 200-yard individual medley to finish top-10.

Just barely out of finishing top-10 in the 100-yard butterfly, Foote finished at 44.87 and 11th to grab Honorable Mention All-American honors.

Junior Tyler Hulet, Sanchez Foote and School grabbed A&M’s third Honorable Mention All-American award for relays as they finished at 3:04.68 to grab a top-15 finish in the 400-yard medley relay.

Sanchez finished 10th in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:51.32 en route to picking up his first individual All-American award.

Junior Rhett Hensley earned Honorable Mention All-American accolades as he posted 13th in platform, scoring 349.90.

Closing out the meet, Foote, Fuchs, Scholl and Reno finished top-20 in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 2:49.78.