Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Fast and furious

No. 10 A&M men’s swimming and diving breaks program records en route to top-20 finish at NCAA Championships
Photo by CJ Smith

Junior Trey Dickey swims in the Men 500 LC Meter Freestyle during the 2023 Art Adamson Invitational at the Texas A&M Natatorium on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

Headed into NCAA Championships, No. 10 Texas A&M men’s swimming & diving were in a good place. The team finished the regular season undefeated, including wins over No. 6 Tennessee and No. 7 Texas and shattered multiple program records.

With momentum in hand, the Maroon and White finished 16th at NCAA Championships, headlined by what they’ve done all season: breaking records.

Sophomore Connor Foote broke the school record in the 50-yard freestyle earlier this year, and if that wasn’t enough, he lowered it once again as the lead-off in the 200-yard freestyle relay, going 18.87.

Foote, along with freshman Ben Scholl, junior Seth Reno and senior Collin Fuchs clocked in a season-best 1:16.21 to grab 16th.

Picking up where he left off, Foote claimed the 100-yard freestyle program record as he went 41.60 in prelims and broke it again in finals, going 41.49 to finish 12th and earned All-American accolades.

Fellow sophomore Baylor Nelson continued his terrific second-year campaign, earning a podium spot in the 400-yard individual medley with a third-place finish. He broke the program record with 3:37.46 and grabbed All-American honors.

Junior Trey Dickey took down two records in one swim in the 1,650-yard freestyle as his 1,000 split time of 8:57.62 took down his previous school record and his overall time of 14:46.70 posted as a new program record, earning Honorable Mention All-American awards.

“The five school records this week were fun,” coach Jay Holmes said. “Baylor [Nelson] finally getting his and breaking our 400 IM record is well deserved. He has worked so hard and earned it. ”

A&M collected All-American honors throughout the meet. The first race for the Aggies garnered Honorable Mention All-American honors as Nelson, Foote, School and senior Alex Sanchez went 1:23.72 in the 200-yard medley relay to grab 15th as well as the fourth-best time in program history.

Senior Victor Povzner dived into Honorable Mention All-American accolades as he scored 13th in the 1-meter with a score of 358.50. Then, to grab his seventh All-American award in his career, Pvozner took home sixth in the 3-meter with a score of 404.50.

Nelson picked up another All-American honor as he clocked in at 1:41.54 in the 200-yard individual medley to finish top-10.

Just barely out of finishing top-10 in the 100-yard butterfly, Foote finished at 44.87 and 11th to grab Honorable Mention All-American honors.

Junior Tyler Hulet, Sanchez Foote and School grabbed A&M’s third Honorable Mention All-American award for relays as they finished at 3:04.68 to grab a top-15 finish in the 400-yard medley relay.

Sanchez finished 10th in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:51.32 en route to picking up his first individual All-American award.

Junior Rhett Hensley earned Honorable Mention All-American accolades as he posted 13th in platform, scoring 349.90.

Closing out the meet, Foote, Fuchs, Scholl and Reno finished top-20 in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 2:49.78.