Filling the Gap

Photo by Morgan Engel

Senior linebacker Claude George has 2.5 sacks and 6.5 tackles for loss this season.

After a turnaround 2015 season for the Aggie football defense, led by new coordinator John Chavis, there was a glaring weakness at linebacker. The biggest problem with the second level was the lack of depth. This year, the linebacker corps has plenty of options and is much improved thanks to players such as Otaro Alaka coming off of injury and freshman Tyrel Dodson, but one of the biggest differences has been the improvement of senior junior college transfer Claude George. 

George hails from Lafayette, Louisiana, where he played at Acadiana High School. The Bayou is known for its tough football players and George represents that. Acadiana won the 2010 state championship when George was a sophomore. 

“You can’t be a soft football player and come out of Lafayette, not at the high school I came out of,” George said. “Ted Davidson, best high school coach I ever played for, he made me the player I am today. It’s just a way of life down there, it’s hard-nosed, our offensive linemen were going to embarrass you if you didn’t bring it.”

George spent his first two years of college at Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson, Kansas where he recorded 51 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, nine sacks, five passes broken up, an interception, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in just his freshman year. George then followed up his spectacular rookie campaign with 69 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and 10 quarterback hurries in his sophomore season, which earned him second team All-America honors. 

George originally committed to the University of Miami in the summer before his sophomore season, but backed out on his commitment to the Canes on October 16, 2014 before committing to the Aggies on October 30, a day after A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin extended an offer to George. 

“George is fighting for a starting job, there’s always competition,” Chavis said. “We’re going to put the best people on the field, and I like what George is getting done.”

So far at Texas A&M, George has filled and accepted his role on the team with flying colors. In 2015, George recorded 24 tackles and 2.5 tackles-for-loss in 11 games for the Aggies, including six tackles against Auburn. In 2016, George has already recorded 29 tackles with 6.5 tackles for loss and an interception in just seven games. 

Recently, he picked off Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts in the first half of the Aggies’ 33-14 loss last Saturday.

“[George] is a really good player,” Sumlin said. “He’s made the transition from a hand on the ground defensive end in junior college to a stand-up guy who has to read and react. He’s a great pass rusher, that’s where you see him at his best, when we blitz him, he’s made a lot of great plays.”

Senior safety Justin Evans said George is a hardworking teammate who will never back down from a challenge.

“Claude George is a phenomenal athlete,” Evans said. “When he’s on the field, he’s going to give you everything he’s got. He’s one of our best producing linebackers.”