Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)

Five Aggies headed to the big leagues

MLB Draft Logo
athletetypes.com
MLB Draft Logo

Over the last three days, Major League Baseball has been holding their player draft for 2015. After three days, 40 rounds, and 1,215 picks, five Aggie baseball players were selected by Major League teams.

The draft began on Monday night, during the Aggies’ Super Regional championship game against TCU. In the midst of the 16 inning chaos, Aggie pitcher AJ Minter, who missed a majority of the year due to Tommy John surgery, was selected with the 75th overall pick, the last pick of day one.

Day two would be another to remember for A&M, as two more Aggies would have their dream come true. Aggie ace on the mound, Grayson Long was first up, taken in the third round by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Then, all-around shortstop, Blake Allemand followed him two rounds later, and saw himself be picked up by the Milwaukee Brewers with the 151st overall pick. Allemand would take to twitter to express his excitement.

Two more Aggies found their names on the board when day three rolled around.

Power hitting threat, and third team NCBWA all-American Logan Taylor was selected by the Seattle Mariners in the 12th round of the draft. A round after him, star of the Aggie postseason Matt Kent was drafted by the Boston Red Sox. After a lot of hard work, Kent was happy to hear his name called.

“It was a dream come true,” said Kent. “It is what I have been working for my whole career.”

Taylor would also take to twitter on his big day.

Many of these guys have played on a diamond together for four years, and some of them have even met in high school. It was a big day for every one of them.
“It was such a great environment in the locker room with the other guys,” said Kent. “We all have aspirations to play pro and to see them come together is something that can never be taken away.”

• Blake Allemand makes a double play against California Monday evening 

Vanessa Pena
  • Pitcher Matt Kent was up to pitch in the second inning.

Kathryn Perez
  • Grayson Long winds up for a pitch against TCU during the first game at super regionals on Saturday, June 6th. 

Timothy Lai
  • Logan Taylor makes contact against South Carolina’s pitch on Friday, May 9th. 

Timothy Lai
  • Left-handed pitcher A.J. Minter spent three seasons with A&M before moving to a career in the MLB.