Force of habit

“With the second pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Jacksonville Jaguars select Luke Joeckel, tackle, Texas A&M,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.
Many experts believed Joeckel had a chance to become the first player in Texas A&M history to be drafted first overall Thursday night at Radio City Music Hall in New York, but instead the Kansas City Chiefs chose Western Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher.
Joeckel hugged his family before shaking Goodell’s hand and giving him a bear.
“It’s the happiest moment of my life,” Joeckel said. “I’m so happy it’s over with, really, but man, it doesn’t get any better than this.
Joeckel’s selection made it the third straight year an Aggie has been taken in the Top 10. The left tackle joins linebacker Von Miller – selected second in 2011 by the Denver Broncos – and quarterback Ryan Tannehill, taken eighth in 2012 by the Miami Dolphins.
NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said Joeckel could have an immediate and lasting impact on the league.
“He’s a plug-and-place starting tackle in this league for the next eight to 10 years,” Mayock said.
Joeckel was the lead blocker for Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel’s blind side, anchoring A&M’s offensive line in the program’s 11-2 inaugural season in the Southeastern Conference.
“Its a proud moment for Aggies when one of our athletes does well beyond their playing days at A&M and it’s always good having your school in the spotlight,” said Patrick Madigan, senior communications major. “It speaks volumes about the strength of our program to be able to produce high picks the last three years, especially character guys like [Miller], Tannehill and [Joeckel].”
Joeckel’s performance led to his unanimous All-American selection and he became the first Aggie to win the Outland Trophy, annually given to the nation’s top interior lineman.
“Luke Joeckel is the consummate professional,” said A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin in an interview with NFL Network analysts . “As talented as [Joeckel] is on the field, he is an even better person off of it. [Joeckel] is a strong, physical player with great technical skills. He started every game of his Aggie career at left tackle and did a fantastic job. He is a great addition to the Jacksonville Jaguars.”
Joeckel will join a Jacksonville team that went 2-14 last season. He will protect former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert and Pro Bowl running back Maurice Jones-Drew.
“Jacksonville’s a great team,” Joeckel said. “I’m so happy to be playing for them. I want to go out there, prove myself, make the team better and win football games.”
The Jaguars allowed 50 sacks in 2012 while Joeckel and the Texas A&M offensive line allowed just 23. A starter since he stepped foot on campus, Joeckel opted to thank his school and the 12th Man in a video released after he was selected.
“It’s great to be an Aggie. I loved it, the best years of my life,” Joeckel said.
Joeckel became the fifth player in A&M history taken second overall, joining Miller, Quentin Coryatt (1992, Indianapolis Colts), John David Crow (1958, St. Louis Cardinals) and John Kimbrough (1941, Chicago Cardinals).
2013 marked the first time offensive linemen were the first two picks of the draft since 1968 and the first time in the Super Bowl era.