Gamecocks eliminate Aggie softball in first round of SEC tournament

The 8-seeded Texas A&M softball team fell by a score of 6-3 against the 9-seeded South Carolina Gamecocks in Baton Rouge on Wednesday.

The Aggies (38-18, 12-13 SEC) sent Rachel Fox to the circle, needing their best pitcher during the regular season to give them their best chance to win. A&M and Fox began the afternoon slowly, allowing the Gamecocks (36-19, 10-14 SEC) to get the bases loaded early in the second inning. South Carolina capitalized on the opportunity and got a two RBI single to take the 2-0 lead.

A&M had a chance at a quick answer in the bottom half of the inning, but they left the bases loaded. A&M finally broke through in the third inning with its first run of the game with Ashley Walters crushing a double into center field to drive in Cali Lanphear. The Aggies added two more runs in the inning from an RBI single by Breanna Dozier and a sacrifice fly from Kristen Cuyos.

The Aggies took their lead into the sixth inning where it began to unravel. The Gamecocks crushed a homer to tie the game at 3, and then later, they loaded the bases and then cleared them with a double to take the lead and never gave it back.

The NCAA Selection show will decide the Aggies fate on Sunday.