Games of Texas leaves impact on Bryan-College Station

Photo by Wesley Holmes

TAAF Games Of Texas opening ceremony was held at Olsen Field on Friday evening

From July 31st to August 3rd, the Texas sports world revolved around College Station for the annual Texas Amateur Athletic Federation’s Summer Games of Texas.
The Olympic-like event featured 7,750 athletes from all over the state competing in 13 different sports, and it was not only a big time event for the participants; it also brought economic revenue to the city, estimated at 7.5 million dollars.
All over the grounds of the games, the phrase “this is the best games by far!” could be heard.
The majority of the competitors were in the track and field portion of the games, but the competition was at a high-level throughout the weekend, where multiple records were set. Overall, 75 new swimming records were set along with 15 new records set in track and field.
Young and old, competitors from all stretches of the state showcased their talents. In golf, 10 year old Preston Defriend from Terrel, Texas shot the lowest 18-hold round, shooting a 90. The lowest 36-hole round was shot by 17 year old Nicholas Narcisse from Arlington, who managed a 141.
Elsewhere, 224 matches of tennis were played over the span of just two days, and a total of 388 gold medals were awarded in swimming and track and field alone.
The games also included a celebrity appearance from former IBA middleweight boxing champion Raul Marquez, who was in attendance at the College Station Hilton, where 96 bouts of boxing took place, six of them involving girls.
The games also open up opportunities for young athletes to gain exposure for college. The 2014 TAAF Athlete of the Year Caleb Eagans from Jewett will be attending Texas A&M to run track and field next year.
After hosting the games for two years, the competition will move elsewhere for 2016 and 2017. The games will move to McAllen in south Texas for the next two years before returning to the Bryan-College Station area in 2018 and 2019.

• The 13 and younger heat gets ready to compete in the bowl competition.

Photo by File photo by Vanessa Pena
  • The bowl competition continued with the girls heat on Saturday afternoon

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Games of Texas- Skateboarding

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Games of Texas- Skateboarding

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Games of Texas- Skateboarding

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Games of Texas- Boxing

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Coach advising his athlete during a fight on Friday’s games at the Hilton Hotel

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Games of Texas- Boxing

Photo by Vanessa Pena
  • Referee announces that the blue side has won the match during Friday’s games held at the Hilton Hotel

Photo by Vanessa Pena