Henry, Bratton take home three gold medals for USA in University Games

Senior Sarah Henry stands with her Gold medal at the University Games that were held this year in Gwangju, South Korea.

Every two years, the University Games are held all around the world. This year in Gwangju, South Korea, Texas A&M is represented by four swimmers, as well as by head coach Steve Bult- man. Senior Sarah Henry (USA), freshman Lisa Bratton (USA), and sophomore Franko Jonker (South Africa) and Sycerika McMahon (Ireland) are the Aggies who were selected to participate in the games from July 4-11.
So far, the Aggies have garnered a combined three gold medals — two of which were awarded to Sarah Henry.
To kick off the games, Henry struck her first gold with a win in the 400 individual medley with a time of 4:38.88. It was a come- back effort for her as she trailed the leader by .69 seconds going into the final leg, the freestyle. Henry stormed back to defeat Barbora Zavadova of the Czech Republic by two seconds.
Lisa Bratton, the freshman who had already broken records in her first season, was up next and she did not disappoint. Bratton earned the second Aggie gold medal of the games in the 200 meter backstroke. She trailed for most of the race, but in the final 50 meters she caught fire and left everyone be- hind to complete a lifetime best of 2:09.31.
On day three, Henry came through with her second gold medal of the games in a Team USA 800 meter freestyle relay. She earned the medal after help- ing her team to the fastest qualifiers from the prelims. However, she did not swim in the final, where Team USA won with a time of 7:53.88.
Other Aggies have competed at a high level as well. Franko Jonker and Sycerika McMahon both advanced into the semifinals of the 100 meter breaststroke, but both could not advance to the final, coming in sixth and eighth respectively. Jonker also went to the 200 meter breaststroke semifinals after winning her preliminary heat. However she was even faster in the semis, but did not advance to the final.
Also competing is former Aggie all-American diver Cameron McLean, who represents his home country of Canada at these games. He placed seventh in the men’s seven meter springboard with a score of 337.90, and placed 18th in the men’s three meter springboard dive. 
  • Freshman Lisa Bratton stands with her Gold Medal at the University Games that were held this year in Gwangju, South Korea.