Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Ifenna Cos-Okpalla named SEC Defensive Player of the Week

Photo by Kyle Heise

Sophomore OPP Logan Lednicky (9) and Sophomore MB Ifenna Cos-Okpalla (1) jump to block TCU OH Melanie Parra’s (23) spike during Texas A&M’s game against TCU at Reed Arena on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023.

Sophomore middle blocker Ifenna Cos-Okpalla was named the SEC’s Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, Sept. 11.
After a strong defensive showing at the Aggie Invitational, Cos-Okpalla earned her first career weekly honor.
In A&M’s first game of the Aggie Invitational, Cos-Okpalla racked up 14 total blocks in a sweep of Utah State, breaking A&M’s program record and tying the SEC record for total blocks in a three-set match.
Cos-Okpalla carried her strong defensive performance into the next game versus Northern Iowa with nine total blocks to propel the Aggies to a 3-0 sweep.
Unfortunately for Aggie fans, the final game of the invitational versus TCU resulted in the Maroon and White’s first loss of the season. Cos-Okpalla still showed out defensively against the Horned Frogs with five total blocks, a team-high and tied for second-most between both teams.
Cos-Okpalla finished the Invitational with a total of 28 blocks. She averaged 2.80 blocks per set and currently leads the nation in blocks per set at 2.
Coach Jamie Morrison and the Aggies will need Cos-Okpalla to continue her strong defensive showings as A&M hosts No. 22 Houston on Wednesday, Sept. 13, and Liberty on Friday, Sept. 15.