Texas A&M Aggies guard Tyrece Radford (23) blocks Arkansas Razorbacks guard Tramon Mark (12) during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024, at Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Free falling
Jace LaViolette (17) an Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle celebrating a home run during Texas A&Ms game against UIW on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW
Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) catches a pop fly during Texas A&M’s game against McNeese on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2024 at Blue Bell Park. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Free falling
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW

Jake Matthews heads back to Atlanta, drafted sixth overall

Former Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews became the first Aggie off the board in the 2014 NFL Draft after being selected by the Atlanta Falcons with the sixth overall pick.
Matthews follows in the footsteps of former teammate Luke Joeckel – who was taken second overall in the 2013 draft – by becoming the second Aggie offensive tackle in as many years to be drafted inside the top 10.
With the help of Matthews, the Falcons will look to improve a struggling run game which ranked last in the league in 2013 after averaging only 77.9 yards per game.
Matthews is the son of NFL Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews who was drafted ninth overall by the Houston Oilers in 1983 and played a record 19 seasons in the league. He is also the cousin of four-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker Clay Matthews of the Green Bay Packers. His younger brother Mike Matthews was the Aggies’ starting center during the 2013 season.
Matthews was selected as a first team All-American in 2012 and awarded All-SEC first team honors in 2012 and 2013 by the Football Writers Association of America, Associated Press and Sporting News. He also received the 2013 Bobby Bowden Award for leadership.
Matthews was a member of the 2012 A&M offensive squad that led the SEC in rushing, passing, scoring and total offense.
Matthews will begin his professional career in SEC country protecting Falcons’ quarterback Matt Ryan. The Falcons play inside the Georgia Dome-the same venue where Matthews finished his collegiate career at the 2013 Chick-fil-A Bowl.