Jennings’ steal, free throws seal 59-55 victory

Photo by Cody Franklin
Chelsea Jennings (right) secured the win Thursday with a last-second steal.

Photo by Cody Franklin Chelsea Jennings (right) secured the win Thursday with a last-second steal.  

In an intense SEC rematch, the Texas A&M women’s basketball team squeezed out a 59-55 win over the Arkansas Razorbacks at home Thursday.
The last time the two teams met, Achiri Ade won it for A&M on a layup at the buzzer. The game again went down to the wire, with Jessica Jackson cutting the Aggies lead to one with 34 seconds remaining. A steal from Chelsea Jennings and two clutch free throws with 2.8 seconds remaining sealed the win for the No. 15 Aggies.
Junior guard Courtney Walker praised Jennings after the game.
“She does it every day and there has been several times where we’ve had a player at that position as the same as Jessica and she’ll come in and put a stop to it and we were able to trust her to do that again today. And she did and made the big play at the end as well as hit the big free throws,” Walker said.
Head coach Gary Blair started sophomore guard Curtyce Knox in place of junior Jordan Jones, who was out with the stomach flu. She did not disappoint, finishing with eight points, five assists and four rebounds.
Texas A&M will host Alabama at 6 p.m. Monday in Reed Arena.