Jo Evans signs 5-year extension as helm of A&M Softball

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Head Coach Jo Evans examines her dugout to making adjustments in pitching. 

Texas A&M and Director of Athletics Scott Woodward announced Thursday afternoon that Jo Evans has agreed to a new five-year contract as head softball coach. This locks down Evans through 2022 as she now heads into her 22nd year in College Station. During her tenure, the Aggies have advanced to the NCAA postseason 18 times, including three trips to the Women’s College World Series and six trips to the NCAA Super Regionals.

“Jo has done a fabulous job of leading our softball program for more than two decades and has been a great ambassador for Texas A&M,” Woodward told 12thman.com. “She exemplifies our core values, has led our team to conference championships and to the Women’s College World Series, and has a phenomenal track record of graduating student-athletes.”

In 2015 Evans was inducted into the National Fastpitch Coaches’ Association Hall of Fame. She’s posted 21-straight 30-win seasons, including 10 40-win seasons and a program-best 57-win season in 2008. This spring Evans and company returned to the World Series with a 47-13, 16-7 SEC record, compiling an all-time 836-397-2 record for the nationally-renowned coach.

“I want to thank Scott Woodward for his support,” Evans told 12thman.com. “Texas A&M is a perfect fit for me and I am grateful to be at the helm of the Texas A&M Softball Program. It is a privilege to work with such talented student-athletes who embody the tremendous spirit and core values of The 12th Man. I remain committed to winning at the highest level, while representing Texas A&M University with integrity and class.”

The seventh all-time winningest Division I softball coach in the nation held a crucial role in the development of the brand new Aggie Softball Stadium. The $28.6 million project is scheduled for completion in 2018 and will be home to some of the country’s finest softball facilities under Evan’s leadership for many years to come.