Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Jonathan Chung represents A&M at NCAA cross country championship

Photo by Robert O’Brien

Sophomore Jonathan Chung reacts as he nears the finish line in 6th place of the men’s 10k during the NCAA Division I South Central Regional at the Watts Cross Country Course on Friday, Nov. 11, 2022.

The NCAA cross country championship is Saturday, Nov. 19. While neither of the Texas A&M men’s or women’s cross country teams qualified for the team spots, sophomore Jonathan Chung will be representing the Aggies at the championship. 

Chung is one of 38 participants that will compete in the individual men’s event, and is also the first Aggie men’s cross country runner to qualify for the NCAA Championship since junior Eric Casarez in 2019.

Chung qualified for the championship by placing sixth with a time of 30:35.1 in the 10,000-meter race at the NCAA South Central Regional on Friday, Nov. 11. 

A&M distance coach Wendell McRaven praised Chung for his hard work and spoke on how it got him to this point. 

“When I look back at Jonathan [Chung’s] progression, it’s been 18 months of just doing the little things and the right things,” McRaven said. “He’s become a guy that’s a great example of our younger athletes with the work he’s put in to be where he’s at today.” 

Ahead of the race, Chung shared  what he hopes to accomplish and said he wants to take the challenge head on.

“I think I just need to go out there and compete to the best of my ability,” Chung said. “So I’m kind of just taking it all in, and the most important thing is to do it with a smile on my face.”