Joseph Cheek: ‘We’ll be alright’

John Sheen — THE BATTALION

Joseph Cheek speaks Tuesday at the weekly press conference.   

Everything about Joseph Cheek is giant. The blocker towers over most at 6-foot-7, and after seasons under the tutelage of first-round draft picks on the offensive line, he’s ready to put that size to use.
Perhaps the biggest aspect of Cheek is his name. Joseph’s father, Louis Cheek, was a two-time All-Southwest Conference pick in the late 1980s as a part of the Aggies offensive line. He was an eighth-round selection of the Miami Dolphins and played four seasons in the NFL.
The strong pedigree extends to his time at A&M. Take a look at his former teammates: Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews, the No. 2 and No. 6 overall picks in their respective NFL drafts over the last two years. Cheek had the privilege of learning from both of them. Playing alongside Cheek today is another massive prospect, Cedric Ogbuehi, the senior left tackle projected by many to be selected in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft.
Now, after an MCL sprain has sidelined tackle Germain Ifedi for the season, Cheek will be called on to fill the void on a reshuffled offensive line.
“We have a different lineup now with Germain out,” Cheek said. “But it’s the same guys and we’ve all been working together. We all know what we need to do to improve. It’ll be a little different this week but I think once we start playing together, we’ll be alright.”
Cheek said he is optimistic he and his teammates can improve from facing adversity with the sudden changes and recent losses.
“It’s definitely been challenging,” Cheek said. “It’s all about rhythm and getting used to the guys playing next to you. It’s something to make us better. Now I get Ced [Ogbuehi] right next to me. We’re working together, getting used to each other. Just another thing to throw into the mix. Sometimes things happen unfortunately. Everyone that’s in that locker room is working their tail off. There’s not a moment where we’re not trying to increase our level of play and get better.”
Cheek, like his teammates, had to fight to get back into the starting lineup during the Aggies bye week when all positions were opened and true freshman Kyle Allen nabbed the starting quarterback gig from sophomore Kenny Hill.
“I think [Allen] did just fine back there,” Cheek said. “A couple balls got away from him but he loves it. He’s working hard. He’s always got a smile on his face. He’s just a competitive individual. I’m excited to see him again this week.”
The Aggies will take on the No. 3 Tigers in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday.
“They’re very talented,” Cheek said. “It’s incredible. Big guys, so much depth. There are so many guys that they have go through the rotation. It’s going to be a great challenge. I’m really looking forward to it. It’s going to be a physical game, and it’s going to be a lot of fun. I’m playing next to Ced [Ogbuehi] and we’re all getting into a rhythm. We’re putting in the work this week and I think it’s going to work out just fine.”