Kenny Hill named Aggie football starting quarterback

Hill was 16-for-22 for 183 yards and a touchdown in four appearances for the Aggies in 2013.

File

The long awaited search to replace former quarterback Johnny Manziel ended Saturday — a day after the conclusion of fall camp — when head football coach Kevin Sumlin named sophomore Kenny Hill the team’s starting quarterback for the Aggies’ opener against South Carolina.
As a junior at Carroll High School in Southlake, Texas, Hill led the Dragons to a state title after completing 243-of-286 passes for 3,014 yards and 25 touchdowns with 9 interceptions while rushing for 1,400 yards on 280 carries with 24 touchdowns.
After his senior year in 2012, Hill would be named the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year and Class 5A Offensive Player of the Year after completing 139-of-209 passes for 2,291 yards and 20 touchdowns with 102 carries for 905 yards and 22 touchdowns.
Hill beat out touted true-freshman teammate Kyle Allen to earn the nod in Texas A&M’s SEC opener. Allen was the No. 1 rated pocket-passing quarterback in the 2014 recruiting class.