Kyle Allen to transfer effective immediately

Allen leaves A&M with a 9-5 record in 14 career starts.
Photo by Photo by Jenna Rabel

On Thursday evening, quarterback Kyle Allen announced that he will be transferring from Texas A&M, and the school has granted his transfer request, which will be effective immediately.
Allen, a heavily recruited five-star quarterback from Scottsdale, Arizona, took over last season in place of Kenny Hill in lieu of the 59-0 thrashing at Alabama. Allen consistently improved in the last few starts of 2014, and capped the season off with an upset win at No. 3 Auburn then an MVP performance in the Liberty Bowl win against West Virginia.
He was named the starter in 2015, and started the season strong. However, after throwing three interceptions, all returned for touchdowns, in the infamous “Pick Six” game against Alabama, Allen never looked the same again.
In 10 games this year, Allen completed 56 percent of his passes for 2,210 yards and 17 touchdowns against seven interceptions. In 14 career starts, he hoisted a 9-5 record.
He took to twitter on Thursday to give a shout out to the Aggie faithful with a letter thanking them for his experience in Aggieland.

“To the city of College Station, the last two years of my life spent here have been unforgettable, and forever impacting on my life. The people I’ve met, relationships I’ve made, things I’ve learned, memories I’ve made will stay with me for the rest of my years,” Allen continued.

“Texas A&M University is a place unlike any other, and I wish things would have worked out here. But at some points in life, people have to do what’s best for them. It’s with a heavy heart that I say that I am transferring from Texas A&M. I appreciate anyone and everything here. This place will forever hold a special place in my heart. Thank you.”

For A&M, this means that there will be a two-way quarterback battle between Kyler Murray and Jake Hubenak. Ultimately, we will likely see Murray starting the bowl game due to having more experience with the offense this season. He will also likely be playing baseball for A&M in the spring, so that will limit his time to be around the football team. Going into next fall, it is likely to be a battle of Hubenak versus Murray for the starting duties at quarterback. 

A&M has a verbal commitment thus far from No. 1 dual-threat quarterback for the 2017 recruiting class in Tate Martell, but that is still more than a year away.  

As the off-season comes closer, the quarterback situation faces huge question marks once again.