Late bomb from Cuyos snaps long home streak from LSU softball

Even though the Texas A&M softball ultimately lost the series, a final game 5-2 win over LSU snapped the Tigers perfect home record, bringing it to 30-1 on the season.

The No. 3 Tigers (41-6, 13-5 SEC) opened the series with two consecutive victories and seemed poised to take the sweep and further their unblemished home record. Saturday night, the Tigers started off hot out of the gates with their speed and baserunning ability to take the first game of the series. Rachel Fox took the loss on Saturday for the Aggies by a score of 6-1. The Aggies had a little more fight on Sunday, responding to Tiger runs with some offense of their own in the following inning, but the Tigers prevailed by a score of 6-3, handing junior Katie Marks her second loss of the season.

The No. 23 Aggies (34-14, 9-9 SEC) began tonight’s game with an offensive mindset, with Breanna Dozier hitting a double in the second inning to kick start the Aggie offense. A&M capitalized on the Dozier double with getting Alex Masek and Ashley Walters on base, loading the bases for Brittany Clopton. Clopton drew a walk to give the Aggies the early 1-0 lead.

The Aggies continued their rally by adding another unearned run to increase their lead to 2-0 in the third. The Tiger offense, on fire in the previous two games, was subdued by the pitching of Rachel Fox, who did not allow a run until the fifth inning when Constance Quinn singled to left field to drive in catcher Kellsi Kloss. The Tigers had more opportunities to score in the fifth, but A.J. Andrews grounded out to the pitcher to end the inning.

LSU tied the game in the sixth with a solo homer from Sahvanna Jaquish, but the Aggies responded in the top of the seventh with a three-run homer from Freshman Kristen Cuyos to put the Aggies ahead for good.

The Aggies are on the road again this weekend as they battle the No. 1 Florida Gators in a weekend series. Play begins on Friday.