Liberty Bowl: A&M leads West Virginia 28-27 at halftime

Don’t blink in the second half. The Texas A&M Aggies head into halftime leading the West Virginia Mountaineers 28-27.
An ejection, fourth down conversion, record-breaking touchdowns and an interception returned for six of 34 total points scored capped off an exciting first quarter of action from the AutoZone Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tennessee.
The Aggies traded three-and-outs with West Virginia to begin the game. After a 33-yard punt by Mountaineer punter Nick O’Toole, Kyle Allen trotted out to the field to begin the second possession for A&M.
The drive took just one play and nine seconds, as Allen connected with Josh Reynolds for a 44-yard touchdown to put A&M ahead after the PAT 7-0. The touchdown reception was the 13th of the year for Reynolds, breaking the single-season school record of 12 previously held by both Jeff Fuller and Mike Evans.
Senior Howard Matthews saw his game, season and A&M career come to an end when he was ejected for targeting early in the first quarter. On third-and-17 from the A&M 35, West Virginia quarterback Skyler Howard sent a pass over the middle to Jordan Thompson. The pass fell incomplete, but the penalty resulted in both Howard’s ejection as well as a first down for the Mountaineers. West Virginia finished that drive with a field goal and trailed 7-3.
After Howard found Mario Alford for a 45-yard touchdown with very little defense from the A&M side for a 10-7 lead, they quickly increased their lead to 17-7 with a 35 yard interception return for a touchdown by KJ Dillon.
With a minute and change remaining, A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin took a risk on fourth down and five. Junior runningback Trey Williams was spotted by Allen on a play that appeared to have broken down. Williams took the ball 40 yards for the score to cut the lead to 17-14.
After a field goal at the end of the first quarter increased the Mountaineers lead to 20-14, Allen marched the A&M squad 60 yards on six plays before capping off the drive with a touchdown to Malcome Kennedy. Kennedy was charged with unsportsmanlike conduct after the play which put A&M in front 21-20.
Kevin White, star wide receiver for the Mountaineers made noise late in the second half with a 49-yard touchdown reception to put WVU back out in front 27-21.
With under a minute before halftime, Allen capped off a 12 play 90-yard drive for the Aggies with a 14-yard rushing touchdown for the 28-27 lead.
Allen finished the half completing 13 of his 21 passes for 195 yards and four total touchdowns. Tra Carson led the way on the ground with 51 yards on 11 carries. Reynolds and Kennedy have 52 and 51 receiving yards on the game.
The second half starts shortly. Only 30 minutes remain in the 2014-2015 season for Texas A&M as they attempt to win their fourth consecutive bowl game for the first time in school history.