Texas A&M Aggies guard Tyrece Radford (23) blocks Arkansas Razorbacks guard Tramon Mark (12) during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024, at Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Free falling
Jace LaViolette (17) an Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle celebrating a home run during Texas A&Ms game against UIW on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW
Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) catches a pop fly during Texas A&M’s game against McNeese on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2024 at Blue Bell Park. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Free falling
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW

Long, bullpen combine for shutout win

For true freshman Grayson Long, in his fourth career start, facing off Tuesday evening against Dallas Baptist provided an opportunity for him and the rest of the young bullpen to prove their worth. The group answered with a shutout victory.
Coming off a three-game sweep of Georgia, the A&M momentum carried into Tuesdays home matchup as A&M dropped the Patriots 2-0 at Blue Bell Park to extend its four-game winning streak.
That was the best team I think Ive faced, Long said. I felt like tonight was the best outing Ive had. I was on top of the ball and in command. Our [bullpens] game was flawless.
To start off the game, A&M junior outfielder Krey Bratsen walked before scoring off sophomore catcher Mitchell Naus double down the left field line. Sophomore Cole Lankford followed with a single of his own, plating Nau to push the Aggies up 2-0.
From that point on, the Aggie bullpen took over, pitching nine shutout innings. Long (3-0) notched the win in five and one-third innings and juniors Parker Ray and Jason Jester closed out the game with a combined three innings.
Thats without a doubt the first time we held [Dallas Baptist] off the scoreboard, A&M head coach Rob Childress said. Pitching and defense was outstanding. Im really proud of [Long] and our bullpen. It took all of them doing their job.
Lankford extended his hitting streak to 10 games. The first baseman with a .436 batting average with 17 hits over the past nine games went 1-for-4 with an RBI.
Looking back over his streak, the sophomore said he was just enjoying the ride.
Im just having fun [on this streak], Lankford said. Im just enjoying it and taking it game-by-game. I think the team is coming together so well [because were] just being able to finish and win games.