Making the case

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

Kenny Hill and team will look to earn a marquee win in their return home.

You’re asked to select four different 12-packs of soda.
In front of you are your options. You can compare whether its current state is hot or cold. You can compare the quality of a 12-pack of Coca-Cola to the quality of a 12-pack of Pepsi. Maybe the packaging or marketing campaign of a particular brand is better known or more successful compared to its competition. Regardless, you’re getting the exact same amount of soda. What flavor suits you?
A display shelf buckles under pressure. Until then, everything was uniform. Every pack was providing exactly what you expected, as advertised.
Some 12-packs have a busted can, some two or three. Some crashed down hard from the top shelf, others remained unblemished. Quite the mess to discuss with your friends later, isn’t it?
Sounds an awful lot like the task of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee, doesn’t it?
Each team had 12 games. Here’s what they did with them. Tell us who is the best.
Last week saw losses from five of the top eight teams in the AP Poll for the first time ever as Oregon, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and UCLA all suffered defeat. However, unlike past seasons, the playoff committee still provides an opportunity for these teams to call themselves champions.
After a 48-31 loss to Mississippi State, the Aggies return to Kyle Field Saturday night to take on a 5-0 Ole Miss Rebels squad fresh off a victory over Alabama.
Ole Miss has forced a turnover in 28 consecutive games. The Rebels are third in the nation with 10 interceptions, are one of just 10 remaining unbeaten Division 1 FBS teams and are allowing an SEC leading 10.2 points per game on defense.
The Aggies cannot afford drops. The team saw 11 passes deemed catchable fall through their hands last weekend against the Bulldogs. Dropping a game to an undefeated Rebels team for a second loss on the season would be a difficult hill to climb, but not impossible. With games remaining against Alabama, Auburn, Missouri and LSU as well as the SEC championship game, there is plenty of time for a case to be made. However, with two losses, you begin to need a substantial amount of help from other teams to make the playoff.
Drop a can of soda on the ground and watch carbon dioxide gas and water, once forced in by soft drink manufacturers at 1,200 pounds per square inch, exit the can in an explosive manner before you can even register what happened.
Almost like a high octane-offense.
In 32 games under Kevin Sumlin, A&M has scored at least 14 first-quarter points 16 different times. In 29 of those 32 games, the Aggies have scored first, including 21 opening drive touchdowns.
Seventeen receivers have caught passes for the Aggies this year, including six with double-digit receptions. In 15 of the 24 quarters they have played this year, they have scored double-digit points. They have scored in every quarter but one.
A single loss doesn’t destroy the season, but a victory on Saturday is far from the season’s last challenge.
If the Aggies were to win out, they would be a big time name for the playoff committee to consider. What if Mississippi State dropped two games before the end of the year? A&M hands Alabama its second loss, followed by Auburn — suddenly Kevin Sumlin has led his team to the SEC Championship and a victory away from a virtually guaranteed spot in the final four.
On Saturday night, in front of what could be the largest crowd to ever watch a football game in the state of Texas, A&M truly begins to build its case for the postseason. A postseason that, despite a loss, is still very much attainable.
The 13-member Playoff Selection Committee will begin meeting Oct. 28. Up to this point, and for the remainder of the season, members will continue to consume as much football as possible. Some will favor a 10-win team playing hot over a team who fell late to an unranked opponent. Some will favor a one-loss team from a stronger conference over an undefeated squad from a lesser conference. On Dec. 7, they will provide fans of College Football the answer to a season long question.
What will you have to drink?
Brandon Wheeland is a sports management junior and a sports writer for The Battalion.